The Watch Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm starting to get into watches more and more. I may have found a hobby that the norm is priced higher than I'm ever willing to go (don't see me buying a $1k watch anytime soon and to be honest, I have a hard time even spending $200 at the moment). I'm catching myself learning about mechanical vs. quartz, and automatics, and chronographs, and tachymeters, and slide-rule bezels, and classic designs, etc.

I had this cheapie for a while (and really like it for hiking/camping):

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T499449...qid=1403651026&sr=8-2&keywords=timex+uplander

ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51jei5ccWKL.jpg

I'll admit that I really like Timex. I read that Timex is the only US-based company to survive the various buyouts that went on with the other US-based brands back in the day. I've got a weekender that I've had for a while, but I decided to step it up a notch and ordered this one (should be here tomorrow):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IQE5Y4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

T49823_1.jpg

Anywho - share your watches; your opinions on brands/models/years/etc.; and post lots of pics of watch-goodies (pocket or wrist).

Let's see 'em!

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to be a big time watch guy and I still appreciate a "nice" timepiece (I never pay over 150 bucks for one) but lately I've sold off most of my watches.

The only one I have left is a Seiko SKX009 Automatic Diver with the stainless jubilee bracelet...

lh3.ggpht.com_monsterwatches_SHVBnY7g0PI_AAAAAAAACnk_LKfcKbFbXZA_s800_SKX009_20002.jpg

I like that top/green Timex. How long is the strap? I have gorilla wrists (9.5 inches).

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got a Casio Solar Pathfinder Titanium for my birthday today. It's friggen awesome!

All the bells and whistles I've been wanting. Compass, thermo, baro, alt, temp, atomic, data/trip save, world time, automatic light, solar, etc.....

[Broken External Image]

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to be a big time watch guy and I still appreciate a "nice" timepiece (I never pay over 150 bucks for one) but lately I've sold off most of my watches.

The only one I have left is a Seiko SKX009 Automatic Diver with the stainless jubilee bracelet...

lh3.ggpht.com_monsterwatches_SHVBnY7g0PI_AAAAAAAACnk_LKfcKbFbXZA_s800_SKX009_20002.jpg

I like that top/green Timex. How long is the strap? I have gorilla wrists (9.5 inches).

The Solar "Pepsi" version with Chronograph is on my list (SSCO19 or SSCO31):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00725FCMC...=UTF8&colid=VW6UKD0F198V&coliid=IXRN9MW1ECYN4

i6.photobucket.com_albums_y232_TheMaestro58_Seiko_20SSC0019_206bcf1df0d0f7c5db460290dcb5c37f4b.jpg

www.seikousa.com_images_watches_detail_large_SSC031.jpg

GED How do you like that Automatic? Is that a self-winding (motion) watch and do you have a winding storage case for it? How accurate is it?

The band on the Timex Uplander is about 9 3/4" total (so I doubt you could get the factory band on your wrist). It's a very nice cheap/lightweight watch though, so it might be worth getting if you can come up with a longer band.

I've got a Casio Titanium with a digital compass in it, but mine wasn't the solar-powered version (has Baro/Tide/Nautical-Timer) so it eats batteries about once every 2 years (and is annoying). I've been looking at getting a new Solar Twin Sensor, but I've got so many more on the list before it that it likely won't happen any time soon.

Probably my most expensive "wish-list" watch is the Citizen NightHawk - I could maybe... possibly... see paying $275 for a watch (like for Christmas/birthday/fathers-day sometime in the future) but it would have to be a gift from the wife/kids:

www.dealingtime.com_upload_albums_userpics_10052_nighthawk2_05sep07_05.jpg

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got the Timex Military Chrono in today - holy crap this thing is impressive. I'm pretty blown away by the quality in a watch as inexpensive as it is (and especially a Timex - they appear to be stepping things up lately).

The Bezel slide-rule works pretty well (I can calculate MPH, Time required, or Distance if I have two of the factors) and the Chronograph is very cool as well.

I typically have a slider compass on the band of my camping watch, so I'd like to pick one up for this one, but I'm not sure which one to go with (the Suunto Clipper was my go-to for a while, but I'm thinking of going with something a little more substantial like a Suunto M-9 or a Cammenga Tritium).

Here's a pretty awesome thread from the WatchUseek Forums (and some borrowed pics until I can get my own):

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/timex-military-chrono-t49823-512779.html

i228.photobucket.com_albums_ee110_19sixtysix_Timex_100_0830.jpg

i228.photobucket.com_albums_ee110_19sixtysix_Timex_100_0829.jpg

i228.photobucket.com_albums_ee110_19sixtysix_Timex_100_0826.jpg

i228.photobucket.com_albums_ee110_19sixtysix_Timex_100_0821.jpg

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GED How do you like that Automatic? Is that a self-winding (motion) watch and do you have a winding storage case for it? How accurate is it?

It's a self winding/motion auto and no, I do not have a winding station for it. I thought I would enjoy an automatic, and it's been 'ok' I guess, but I don't wear a watch from morning till night like I used to, so yeah, it slows from time to time, losing a few seconds here and there and has to be reset about once a week by a minute or two.

I think I'm gonna go back to a quartz so if you are interested in buying this one, it is for sale at an awesome price.

Just send me a PM with your cell number so I can send you some actual pics if you want it.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my Casio GW3500B-1A right now

Tough Solar Power
Multi-Band 6 Atomic Timekeeping
Tough Movement – Auto hand home position correction
World Time (48 cities + UTC)
image.rakuten.co.jp_onemore_cabinet_11_gw_3500b_1aer_b.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom