The Watch Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a most interesting thread! With my eyesight not quite as sharp as it used to be, I wanted to find a watch that I could read without needing glasses, and I came across this one from Phosphor:

[Broken External Image]

It was a great watch simply for telling the time at a glance - heck, I could even see what time it was if the watch was propped up ten feet away. I loved it, but I bricked mine the other day when I stupidly reached past a strong electromagnet while wearing the watch. The face is now washed out, so I'm in the market for a new watch. Alas, Phosphor apparently no longer carries that watch in plain stainless steel.

So, a question for you watch experts: what would you recommend in the way of a digital or analog water-resistant watch that shows ONLY the time? That means no chronometers with multiple small dials and hands and other fancy appendages - just a plain, simple display with a big-butt face (say, > 45 mm) and equally big-butt numbers. GED showed a promising example in the Momentum Torpedo, but it'd be nice if the face was even larger with more of a contrast between the hands and the face. Any suggestions?

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am currently rocking a skx173 on a nato strap with a replacement Bezel insert from DAGAZ. I am fixing to order a Sapphire crystal to replace the hardlex as it is starting to show some wear.
i490.photobucket.com_albums_rr263_dubschops_1_zpsf5038019.png

i490.photobucket.com_albums_rr263_dubschops_Untitled_zps0e290d4d.png

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No it is just a classic diver. THe monster actually takes a smaller band like 18-19mm and the skx takes a 20mm which I like but doesn't make much sense to me.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally came in!

i.imgur.com_p98OVBC.jpg

Collection is starting to look respectable:

i.imgur.com_fK1Q70Z.jpg

Those are some nice watches. I've recently become somewhat enamored with the idea of increasing the number of my watches and so I recently bought a Seiko titanium dress watch to replace my Casio triple sensor pathfinder for everyday wear. BTW, where are you guys buying the replacement bands? The Casio' poly one broke on me awhile back (I snagged it).

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are some nice watches. I've recently become somewhat enamored with the idea of increasing the number of my watches and so I recently bought a Seiko titanium dress watch to replace my Casio triple sensor pathfinder for everyday wear. BTW, where are you guys buying the replacement bands? The Casio' poly one broke on me awhile back (I snagged it).

Amazon has a ton of bands if you're looking for something specific.

If you want high-quality leather or nylon straps for not too much money, check out: http://www.crownandbuckle.com/

Here's some good NATO straps: http://natostrapsco.com/

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EZ, I have some of the ECO Drives and learned the hard way about storing them in a dark box. Gotta remember to rotate them out now and again. Been thinking about a storage box with glass or clear top.

I was just thinking about this the other day, but the box never closes and stays in my office with plenty of light (plus I rotate pretty regularly). My biggest problem is the auto and having to wear it every day or it starts to lose time (need to get a winding station for it).

I'm working on one or two more, but I have a feeling after that, this hobby will wind down quickly (pun intended).

Latest posts

Top Bottom