The Watch Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steel band came for the Diver today and I got 'er sized up and figured I'd attempt to put some watch storage together with a pool noodle, some balsa wood, and a $5 craft box from Hobby Lobby:

i.imgur.com_t00D17R.jpg

i.imgur.com_GybdNzI.jpg

i.imgur.com_7vYXIXy.jpg

Collection so far

Top: Unknown Fossil / Timex Uplander / Casio Pathfinder Twin Sensor (Digital Compass / Barometer / Thermometer)
Bottom: Seiko Auto with Sawtooth bezel slide-rule calc. / Seiko Solar Diver / Timex Expedition Military Chronograph

i.imgur.com_Vp8LDtP.jpg

i.imgur.com_u17GZeP.jpg

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back when I could run, I timed myself. Now that my knees are gone, mainly to see how long it takes the light to go out when I close the door on the beer fridge! Actually, cooking and other small details of life.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm fixin' to buy a new one. I can't decide betwixt these three.

Maybe y'all can help me out.

First up is the Momentum Torpedo...

[Broken External Image]

Full lume white face with big, easy to read hands and numbers. A big crown at 4 o'clock and a subdued dive bezel. Japanese quartz movement, 22mm wide SS bracelet.

I like this watch a lot. I appreciate the big numbers and the full lume face. I like the crown at the 4 o'clock position but I'm still one the fence about it's size (9mm). Seems like a rugged dive watch that doesn't really 'look' like a dive watch thanks to it's subdued, if you will, bezel. Amazon sells this timepiece for $144 with FREE shipping both ways.

Next is a Sturhling Regatta...

[Broken External Image]

An homage to the Rolex submariner, it features a silvery/white face with the Rolex type peace symbol hour hand. Swiss quartz movement, 24mm wide SS bracelet, 200 meters.

I've always been a sucker for the Rolex Submariner, but I know that I can never afford one. So whenever I see a beautiful Rolex clone, I always pay close attention. The Sturhling delivers in a big way with the silver face as an added bonus. Seems like a value at only 76 bucks with FREE shipping both ways.

Both feature 44mm case and screw down case backs and crowns and quartz (Japanese on the Momentum/Swiss on the Stuhrling).

Of course, then there's this one...

The Sturhling Tuskegee Elite.

[Broken External Image]

A simple, no frills pilot watch, it features a 46mm case, 13mm thick and a 24mm wide SS bracelet. It also sports a screw down case back but a push/pull crown. :(

It's also an automatic, not a quartz.

While I can appreciate an automatic movement, for some reason my body kinda rejects them. Every auto I've ever owned (three as of this writing) wound up losing time at least once or twice a week.

But that's one sexy watch! :naughty:

What say you? Which one do you guys like the best?

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like the Torpedo.
The Regatta looks nice...but still like the Torpedo.
And then the Tuskegee.....ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..........aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That's legit. I like that a lot.
The AUTO may be a drawback, but there's no doubting its looks.

And....Oh my....it comes with a black dial:
ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51A_2BibXPLTL._SY300_.jpg

This Tuskegee is QUARTZ.....like it:
images10.newegg.com_ProductImage_A0A2_1_20131209356644606.jpg

Dang....y'all are gonna have me spending gun money on fanciful doohickies and whatnot.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm more partial to the darker faces with lighter numbers myself, and I don't know anything about Stuhrling or Momentum, but that Regatta is my pick (I'm also a Submariner fan).

I'm trying to figure out what I want to be my first Citizen. I really wanted a Nighthawk A-T, but they have this awful movement where you have to pull the crown out to operate the chronograph and the 2 and 5 O'clock buttons are for oddball stuff you wouldn't use on a daily basis. Then I looked at the old original Nighthawk, but it's super-busy and I don't need anymore slide-rule calculators (2 is more than enough for me), and other than that - it doesn't really offer anything I would want other than dual-timezones.

I'm really down to the Titanium Nighthawk (which is very rich for my blood in the world of Watches):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CB9A8R8...UTF8&colid=VW6UKD0F198V&coliid=I2CFYKUHZAE789

image.rakuten.co.jp_star_mart_cabinet_citizen2_ca0500_51l_01.jpg

image.rakuten.co.jp_star_mart_cabinet_citizen2_ca0500_51l_02.jpg

...or the "Military" in either Black/Green or Tan/Brown:

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-CA409...s_watch_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JMR3HHZ1TH53J99A44A

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTNQ8BW...UTF8&colid=VW6UKD0F198V&coliid=I1BE4IS39DX4C1

www.britishwatchcompany.com_images_citizen_mens_green_and_grey7b5e1f38bf9bbc779e9c3ecfcdd40702.jpg

[Broken External Image]

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May have spoken too soon. I was able to find the Citizen Ti Nighthawk for well cheaper on ebay from a reputable seller (with Citizen's 5-year warranty), so it's on it's way to me now:

azfinetime.files.wordpress.com_2013_06_ca0500_51l_1.jpg

FYI, if you're looking for an Aviator / Flight watch with a calculator and Chrono on it (and a generally busier watch-face), the Casio Edifice is a great deal and gets great reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003URUM6W...UTF8&colid=VW6UKD0F198V&coliid=I2NF63P0REBCU8

[Broken External Image]

There is also the Pulsar for a bit more (also gets good reviews):

http://www.amazon.com/Pulsar-PF3183...&qid=1405892552&sr=1-1&keywords=pulsar+flight

1183.jp_pic_labo_sp_pf3183.jpg

The Citizen ProMaster AltoChron is probably on my "if I win the lottery" list:

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BN503...=1405892867&sr=8-1&keywords=citizen+promaster

[Broken External Image]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom