The White River in Arkansas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got back from a week of trout fishing on the White River below Bull Shoals in Arkansas. My intent was to fly fish most of the time, but the water was so high and swift, that the fly rod never got used.
Bull Shoals is the last lake on the White River chain to hold and finally dump the water from this springs rains.
The resort owner told us we could normally walk across the river and never get over hip deep. My locator had the water depth at 13' in the center of the river, with the water speed at 4mph. Rocks the size of houses were just under the surface, but we caught fish! :D
Just had to change techniques, and learn to drift fish from the boat. After learning the "secret" from a guide that has been working the river since the late 70's, we caught 25-35 trout a day. Fun times.

Pic from the resort

Just below Bull Shoals dam

The only fish we kept to have for supper

Gastons Resort Restaurant. Amazing collection of old boat motors, bicycles, and antiques. Very sad story of recent events in this places history

Last evening when a fog bank moved in, and we sat around the camp fire to top off a great week in the Ozarks.

[Broken External Image]

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I love that place! First fall I can remember that I haven't made it over for a few days. Really sad to hear of Mr. Gaston's passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every year, a group of guys from my church float about 40 miles down the Buffalo and end up for the last 6 or 7 miles on the White. We camp on the gravel bars, pack in all of our provisions and never see another human until we dump out on the White river. It's glorious. Fishing all along the way for smallmouth and goggle-eye. I love that area of the country.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! We always stay at Gastons. Dennis- If you want to, PM me and I'll e-mail you a video of a jet taking off from the grass strip and you can post it. I'm not smart enough......

Latest posts

Top Bottom