The wife wins again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been trying to set up my work shop/insulated shead for working on stuff. Particulary restoring my Honda. I've worked re-leveling the foundation that sank abit. Installed a wall ac and a couple of oil/electric heater. I planned to put a really good (wireless start) generator that could double as a full house gen when we have ice storms. Something my wife can have someone move if I'm not around. Anyway, I have an RV plug I drilled through my brick wall to my garage where I hooked to a block out sub breaker. I have an electrician comming by to do the hook up to the main hotel box. Long story short, I'm not much of a dude anymore so I have to do things as I can. I don't mind sweating and it makes my wife less than fun to be around when I don't listen to her. Anyway, I have the garage set up. Have my generator box fixed and ready to go and just needed the pad poured for the generator box and generator to sit on. Then just run the line to a 50 amp breaker box, run the wiring inside the pvc, build my work bench on the back wall. I've got a small building I'm getting to put the lawn mower and shovels/stuff in for room. Yesterday was hot but windy so I was finishing up digging up the ground/putting in rebar/setting forms when I did a header. Ha. Wife saw it and now we have a new plan.
I going to run a line from and electric pole to my building (10 yards from pole to shop) and move the box to the side of the garage near the plug where my wife wanted it all along. I just though it would be cool to multi purpose. So now I just have to put some cement holes for the anchors to keep anyone from stealing the gen or moving the box, put some paving stones at the same highth as my sidewalk, put the generator in it and just run it about 10 minutes every other week to keep things cool and the battery charged. PSO will be by next week to figue out the plan and I'll buy another breaker box and install it so all they have to do is hook up the power. I need to run the wiring to the panel first but that shold not be an issue and clean the hell out of my shed...Ha. I'm in bed just finished watching the Sooners beat Texas so I'm in a good mood.
I got lucky finding the wife I have. She has my best interest in mind often above her own. I do the same so I guess that's why we've been married so long. She know's I hate letting people do things I can (and like) to do. I've always been a DIY'er so she let's me get away with things sometimes. This one she wins, but I told her that I'm going to get stronger one day and it's back to normal. I think I heard her giggle......
Here's a few pic's

Attachments

• Workshp 1.JPG
    Workshp 1.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Workshp 2.JPG
    Workshp 2.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Box 2.JPG
    Box 2.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Box 1.JPG
    Box 1.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 93

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the shed and all is looking good....

....and just as a reminder, you are supposed to be behind the shed when you do "headers."

But my friend, you aren't alone.

We were working our Summer job in Indiana last year, and I had just climbed the ladder to clean the glass in front of the forward facing cameras on the work van. Coming back down, I missed the last step on the ladder and went down. Wife was in passenger seat and the ladder, which was still standing, prevented her from being able to open her door. She swears that my head barely missed the steel guardrail along the edge of the roadway. Another fellow was there, and I told both of them that I was just fine. (Which I was.)

But now, if the ground next to the van looks shaky in any way, she reaches out and holds onto the ladder to help stabilize. (That won't help if I just miss the last step again, but she feels better for it.)

Good luck to both of you. You are still in our prayers.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the shed and all is looking good....

....and just as a reminder, you are supposed to be behind the shed when you do "headers."

But my friend, you aren't alone.

We were working our Summer job in Indiana last year, and I had just climbed the ladder to clean the glass in front of the forward facing cameras on the work van. Coming back down, I missed the last step on the ladder and went down. Wife was in passenger seat and the ladder, which was still standing, prevented her from being able to open her door. She swears that my head barely missed the steel guardrail along the edge of the roadway. Another fellow was there, and I told both of them that I was just fine. (Which I was.)

But now, if the ground next to the van looks shaky in any way, she reaches out and holds onto the ladder to help stabilize. (That won't help if I just miss the last step again, but she feels better for it.)

Good luck to both of you. You are still in our prayers.
I'm glad you're ok buddy. We men aren't that smart you know

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
be careful of carbon monoxide. even if the gen is outside air currents around your house can cause problems in the house.
It's on the wall that of the garage that has brick. I have the exhaust vented out of the box and sealed with elbow and another pipe blowing the exhause away from the garage. Intake air is proper sq. ft for filtration over the engine and out through the mechinal fan that runs automaticly when the gen is started.
Thanks for the warning. A few years back, a cracked heat exchanger in our HVAC unit almost killed my wife. Had just had it checked but they didn't let the heater run long enough for it to shrink and open the crack. She called me and was making no sense on the phone (I was at a conference). I knew what it was because that's why I had it checked. We were having symptoms of CO. I called my Sis and nephew to go to the house and kick down the door and get to my wife. I also called he EMS and thankfully my Sis jut lived a block away. She was on the floor out cold when my sis/ nephew/ems arrived.
I now have a co detect and my HVAC has an auto shut off if CO present. Intake and exhaust is outside and not being drawn from outside box. I suggest everyone buy a combination Fire/Co detector. They are in the same unit and are exactly like the fire only alarm. You can also purchase plug ins that do the same. It's a good idea to check them from time to time, to make sure their ok.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I tell my wife I am going to get my strength back and get back to doing all my repairs, etc and I swear she giggles too.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Generators? Better hold onto it. I just saw the news where Governor Nuisance in Whackyfornia signed a bill today to ban things will small engines, including gas powered weed eaters, leaf blowers, and...... generators.

The comet can't come soon enough to smack california into the ocean.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Generators? Better hold onto it. I just saw the news where Governor Nuisance in Whackyfornia signed a bill today to ban things will small engines, including gas powered weed eaters, leaf blowers, and...... generators.

The comet can't come soon enough to smack california into the ocean.
He should figure out how he's going to keep water in his pool and his grass green with no water. It's california. Give it back to the Pacific and the desert.

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny read. After about the umpteenth jillion time my fiancée told me something, and she was right, as usual, I think I have learned to get her input first and value it dearly. Usually saves me money, not to mention skin and blood and dr. bills. But I do have a brain injury and forget. You guys are a hoot.🤪

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny read. After about the umpteenth jillion time my fiancée told me something, and she was right, as usual, I think I have learned to get her input first and value it dearly. Usually saves me money, not to mention skin and blood and dr. bills. But I do have a brain injury and forget. You guys are a hoot.🤪
You sir, have a fiancee that is a steelie eyed missle gal. Hang onto her. Thanks for responding. PS. My wife has never said she was wrong over the decades of our wedful bliss. But, I'm blessed with the love of a good woman and the rest matters not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom