There are now more job openings than workers to fill them

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-black

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I don't disagree with your sentiment, I suspect those deadbeats aren't qualified to be machinists, pipeline weldors, etc. We have a huge problem with a lack of skilled employees, and even those who do qualified as "skilled" aren't freely interchangeable. That's a problem that'll take years, if not a generation, to fix.

Your not kidding. In aviation we are hiring anybody who breathes to build aircraft/parts. 1/2 of our contractors don't speak english.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember conservatives complaining the low unemployment numbers reported by the Obama administration were inaccurate due to not including those who had just dropped out of the workforce and were no longer looking for work. Is this now the same formula the Trump administration is using? I think they called it the labor participation rate or something?

I want to compare apples to apples... something politicians don't usually like doing.

Based on the chart at the link below, that labor participation rate hasn't begun to climb. However, the one chart starts with the beginning of Obama's presidency and shows a very dramatic drop over the years.

Bureau of Labor Statistics - Labor Participation Rates

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
While I don't disagree with your sentiment, I suspect those deadbeats aren't qualified to be machinists, pipeline weldors, etc. We have a huge problem with a lack of skilled employees, and even those who do qualified as "skilled" aren't freely interchangeable. That's a problem that'll take years, if not a generation, to fix.

Very true. Way too many people going to liberal colleges and taking out student loans for degrees that have no use in the real world. It’s hard to find good people that will come to work and actually work. My point is anyone who wants a job can get one and a lot of people don’t want to work. The trade skills are definitely lacking and should be a focus so people that want to can learn a marketable skill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the wages get high enough we’ll attract a bunch of yankee liberals to come down here. Then they can change the political landscape. That’ll make it better. Yup that’ll make it better.
That has happened in the past. When the economy tanked in the 80's. The yankees came in droves to work in the oilfield equipment manufacturing businesses that were booming at the same time. Some became damned yankees and stayed, others went back home when things picked up in their old hood.
We actually had some pretty good transplants that stayed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom