thick woods and clearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This probably isn't relative for the people out west.
I hunt mostly in central Oklahoma area. I am use to hunting black jack woods, with some post oaks, and hickory's. THick, nasty stuff! Most of the mature bucks to me, just don't seem to go out into the clearings around me.... i always thought anyways. of course my wife shot a heck of a buck a few years ago set up on a "highline clearing" but it was mid November, and he was a mature buck following a hot doe. Ive seen tons of younger bucks crossing here, but this was a first for me to see a mature buck out in the opening. Maybe its because i always hunt the thick woods, and try to find trails... maybe i am making a mistake by not hunting the grassy fields so i can see much more ground.
I have acquired a new place recently and again it is mostly wooded, with lots of thick woods, but also has a pipe line clearing running thru it, as well as a couple places with prairie grass and clearings. when hunting with BP or rifle, do you guys normally set up on edges, or do you prefer to set up in the thick.. Sure you can see more ground in the clearings, but in the woods is where the smart old boys are more likely to be.... right? am i thinking about it wrong?
What do you central or eastern Oklahoma guys prefer?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Curious on ones thoughts here too. I'm going to a place up north and it has "everything". Trees, dense woods, open field and a pipeline through all of that too. Lots of options here.

upload_2017-10-18_11-4-22.png

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure you can see more ground in the clearings, but in the woods is where the smart old boys are more likely to be.... right? am i thinking about it wrong?
Thick stuff early on, but by muzzleloader and rifle, I move to the wider spaces. Pinch points from one tree lot to another tree lot are great. One of my best spots was a semi-open field between oak groves. To get from one place to the other, they had to cross where I could see them.

50 yards off a road crossing are also good. Deer usually funnel down and cross in the safest spot. I've caught many good ones trying to sneak across the road from adjoining properties.

When bucks have "sex on the brain", there are not so smart old boys. I've seen them in broad daylight after a doe in front yards, golf courses, airport runways, wheat fields, etc. Hundreds of yards from any decent cover. They come out in the open and get squirrelly for a couple weeks..

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stick to the open meadows every time. I have stands in just about every open area on my place.

The mature bucks will make the mistake of crossing them or walking the tree line around them. It's usually early morning or late evening if they aren't chasing doe. Small bucks and doe with hang out in the open areas at all times.

I leave the wooded areas for the deer with no pressure at all. During the season I don't even walk thru the woods. They'll come to me eventually.

Another reason I don't hunt the woods is because I don't have the patience to watch a 20 yard area for hours. I have one stand in the dead center of a 110 acre hay meadow and can watch 360 degrees. By rifle season the grass will be about 3 feet tall and they'll cross it all day long.

With that said, I miss a lot of chances at taking deer with a bow because of distance.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Curious on ones thoughts here too. I'm going to a place up north and it has "everything". Trees, dense woods, open field and a pipeline through all of that too. Lots of options here.

View attachment 108342
I instantly saw where I would set up in your pic.
The bottom of the "V" with a full view of the pipeline right of way, and a view up the gap between the thin and thick trees on the right.
Deer typically stay about 10 yds or less inside of dense timbered areas where they can look out into the open areas for travel zones. This is why biologists call them "edge dwellers".
But for whatever reason, they will cut across the bottom of a "V" where the cover thins out.
Good looking spot. I'd have a food plot of some kind winding through the trees leading to the stand in the corner. Throw an grow or something like that if you can't till it.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I instantly saw where I would set up in your pic.
The bottom of the "V" with a full view of the pipeline right of way, and a view up the gap between the thin and thick trees on the right.
Deer typically stay about 10 yds or less inside of dense timbered areas where they can look out into the open areas for travel zones. This is why biologists call them "edge dwellers".
But for whatever reason, they will cut across the bottom of a "V" where the cover thins out.
Good looking spot. I'd have a food plot of some kind winding through the trees leading to the stand in the corner. Throw an grow or something like that if you can't till it.
The neighbors food plot to the East doesn't look like a bad spot either..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The neighbors food plot to the East doesn't look like a bad spot either..
If that's what it is, that would add to the decision to set up in the V. Most big bucks won't go to a food plot until after dark. Typically staying 100 yds or so inside the woods.
Throw all that out during rut. Rut, you follow the does. Buck bait.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I knew the answer to that I might have better luck. Ive been on the same place for 4 years, my stands are right on the edge of small clearings. Usually only see does. Have bucks on cam in the thick areas, but they are so hard and noisey to get to, I don't think its worth it. The thicks are super thick. There is one spot Id like to get to that is kinda thick but close to the river, bad thing is it is way in the back corner and there are no shortcuts to it besides walking the fence line for 1/2 the walk. But the neighbor is setup on the fenceline and while I don't really like him being so close, it is the only wooded are he has and I haven't had any problems with him so I leave it be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom