Things Aren't As Funny As They Were Decades Ago

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you ever notice that things we laughed about to the point of tears 40 or so years ago just aren't as funny today if we listen to it again. Red Skelton used funny but not so much anymore. Hudson and Landry were a couple of comedians that had a bunch of us guys rolling on the floor laughing forty years ago. I bought a CD of them doing some of their routines and gave it to my grandson and he said it was retro-humor and he apparently didn't appreciate Hudson and Landry. What the heck does he listen to anyway?
I guess some things aren't as funny as they used to be like George Burns, George Gobel but I still grin at Carol Burnett, she had some funny skits.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first time through, second, third,,,,hundredth…. Sometimes it is the lack of knowledge of the pending joke. I had the great pleasure to meet Dom DeLuise in person. He was full of old one and two liners and his delivery was fresh. We were all in stitches! We were even laughing at take my wife PUHLEEEEAAAAZZZZ. The comedy was fun. Today the people are doing insult and demeaning. They are not quick and witty. There is no Gracie Allen, Bob Hope, Phylis Diller, Rochester and so on. As a society we digressed.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you ever notice that things we laughed about to the point of tears 40 or so years ago just aren't as funny today if we listen to it again. Red Skelton used funny but not so much anymore. Hudson and Landry were a couple of comedians that had a bunch of us guys rolling on the floor laughing forty years ago. I bought a CD of them doing some of their routines and gave it to my grandson and he said it was retro-humor and he apparently didn't appreciate Hudson and Landry. What the heck does he listen to anyway?
I guess some things aren't as funny as they used to be like George Burns, George Gobel but I still grin at Carol Burnett, she had some funny skits.
I agree that many of the old shows just aren't as funny today with one exception, Soap. That was the funniest of any comedy I've ever seen.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of the current generation of comics, Bill Burr, Theo Von, Bert Kreischer, Tom Segura, Gary Owen and Hannibal Burress are among my favorites.

RIP Patrice O'Neal

Latest posts

Top Bottom