Things Aren't As Funny As They Were Decades Ago

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you ever notice that things we laughed about to the point of tears 40 or so years ago just aren't as funny today if we listen to it again. Red Skelton used funny but not so much anymore. Hudson and Landry were a couple of comedians that had a bunch of us guys rolling on the floor laughing forty years ago. I bought a CD of them doing some of their routines and gave it to my grandson and he said it was retro-humor and he apparently didn't appreciate Hudson and Landry. What the heck does he listen to anyway?
I guess some things aren't as funny as they used to be like George Burns, George Gobel but I still grin at Carol Burnett, she had some funny skits.
I'd have to say that's a matter of opinion. Like the Andy Griffith link someone posted the other day, I still very much enjoy the old time humor. Back then they knew what was funny and they didn't have to include an endless stream of profanities in their dialogues to try and make people laugh. I think a great example is SNL. The new version sucks, but I still laugh at the old skits.

Frank Pope

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you ever notice that things we laughed about to the point of tears 40 or so years ago just aren't as funny today if we listen to it again. Red Skelton used funny but not so much anymore. Hudson and Landry were a couple of comedians that had a bunch of us guys rolling on the floor laughing forty years ago. I bought a CD of them doing some of their routines and gave it to my grandson and he said it was retro-humor and he apparently didn't appreciate Hudson and Landry. What the heck does he listen to anyway?
I guess some things aren't as funny as they used to be like George Burns, George Gobel but I still grin at Carol Burnett, she had some funny skits.
I'm so old that I can remember when SNL was funny. I would have to be zip tied to a chair to watch it now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom