Things That Surprised You...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious what you do about your mail and prescriptions (if any) when out on the road?
We use the USPS advance notice for our mail. Every morning they scan our mail, text it to us and we see what’s coming. If it’s important we have the house sitter open it, take a pic and email it to us. All my meds come from the VA so we just set up a temporary address with them.
Wife gets hers at Walmart.
There are services out there for full time RV’rs. They have a monthly fee to forward mail to whatever location you want. They will hold it for awhile and all the RV parks accept UPS and FEDEX shipments.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use the USPS advance notice for our mail. Every morning they scan our mail, text it to us and we see what’s coming. If it’s important we have the house sitter open it, take a pic and email it to us. All my meds come from the VA so we just set up a temporary address with them.
Wife gets hers at Walmart.
There are services out there for full time RV’rs. They have a monthly fee to forward mail to whatever location you want. They will hold it for awhile and all the RV parks accept UPS and FEDEX shipments.

Depending on circumstances, one can also have a family member collect the mail and get with one with regards to what is needed for the RV'ers. We have used a mail service facility, but in our case, we had our youngest son go to the mail service and pick up our mail and packages. Now that he has his own home, we just have everything sent to his home, and we pick it up the next time we are in town or back from traveling.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're all over Craigslist. We bought them at the Dog Trade Flea Market in Sulphur. Lotta junk and crap like most flea markets, but a lot of good stuff, too. Like guns and goats. :)

https://www.facebook.com/sulphurdogtrade
Please take no offense.......but buying goats at a sale barn, etc is a 'roll of the dice'. It may work out but it could go terribly wrong with time. There are some goat diseases that you should avoid. Once the diseases are present they are very hard to impossible to get rid of and severely affect the life and longevity of the animal. ie, CAE, Johnnes

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please take no offense.......but buying goats at a sale barn, etc is a 'roll of the dice'. It may work out but it could go terribly wrong with time. There are some goat diseases that you should avoid. Once the diseases are present they are very hard to impossible to get rid of and severely affect the life and longevity of the animal. ie, CAE, Johnnes

No offense. I appreciate the advice. We didn't buy 'em at a sale barn...like a livestock sale. We bought them from a family that raises them. Probably still a roll of the dice. But it was obvious this family cared about their animals. Wife was like me...wanted to keep them all. Husband obviously had a hard time prying them away from her to sell a few! Very nice people...even let me, a perfect stranger, write a check and borrow a cage to bring them home.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No offense. I appreciate the advice. We didn't buy 'em at a sale barn...like a livestock sale. We bought them from a family that raises them. Probably still a roll of the dice. But it was obvious this family cared about their animals. Wife was like me...wanted to keep them all. Husband obviously had a hard time prying them away from her to sell a few! Very nice people...even let me, a perfect stranger, write a check and borrow a cage to bring them home.
Sounds like you made a good choice

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far, so good. I was getting a little worried about the littlest one. She wouldn't come near us and wouldn't eat any of the treats we brought out. The other ones bullied her a little bit and she seemed really timid.

Then, this morning, I walked into the pen to let them out for the day. She was still laying down and let me pick her up, carry her outside and feed her from my hand. This evening she was even friendlier and actually butted one of the bigger girls away from my hand full of feed. She's starting to strut around like she owns the place.

Now the big girl is the shy one. We're working on her. Progress every day. Still trying to figure them out but that's part of the fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom