Things That Surprised You...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I have 55 as our goal. Her retirement is a bit ahead of mine because I honestly had no intention of seeing 40 years old until I met her, so I spent every penny on experiences to try and max out enjoyment until then. I can still get there in the next 16 years, it will just take a little more sacrifice.

She wants to travel but I require some form of a job to feel like I have a purpose. We are constantly brainstorming ideas for a business where I work for myself that allows for our travel to be tax deductible as a business expense.

The thing that surprises me the most right now is how different my life and the things I value are from what I thought I wanted in my 20s and early 30s. Before my wife and our two kids, I had no interest in settling down with anyone and definitely no kids in the picture because I wanted a clean break when I was finally done with life. Thinking about my expiration date being less than 18 months away from today and I cannot imagine cutting this short. Every single seemingly impossible day I managed to somehow power through has paid off a million times over to allow for the life I have now and the people I love all around me.

It's pretty amazing how priorities change, isn't it? I thought I needed that adrenaline rush and to run around like my hair was on fire until I hit 50. Hell...I was 40 when I competed for a spot on the SWAT team. The 20-somethings couldn't understand how an old man beat them for the spot...I just told them I wanted it more than they did because I was running out of time.

Now, at 61, I go out and have coffee with goats. And I'm OK with that. But, still...never saw that coming! :)

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's pretty amazing how priorities change, isn't it? I thought I needed that adrenaline rush and to run around like my hair was on fire until I hit 50. Hell...I was 40 when I competed for a spot on the SWAT team. The 20-somethings couldn't understand how an old man beat them for the spot...I just told them I wanted it more than they did because I was running out of time.

Now, at 61, I go out and have coffee with goats. And I'm OK with that. But, still...never saw that coming! :)
I can relate. I loved running and gunning and don't regret doing it for a second. But there was a time when I thought I would never stop, that I couldn't live without the adrenaline rush. That was then and this is now. I admit it took awhile to get it out of my system, but now that I'm 68 and I've slowed I don't miss it a bit. Truth be told I've never been happier. I'm blessed abundantly and life is good.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can see where they're gonna be a lot of fun to have around. I spent about an hour with them this morning. It's a goat roundup every time I wanna hold one...but every morning I'm having to chase them a little less. Had the biggest one, Annie, eating out of my hand this morning which is surprising because she's the biggest pain in the a55 of all of them. The babies scream like I'm killin' 'em every time I snatch one of them up. But they're calming down now. I think by the end of a week or ten days, maybe, I'll just be able to walk right up to them.

They're pretty cool. But, I love animals, so...
The best thing to do is be patient. Sit on the ground in their -slightly smaller- pen. They are very curious and sooner or later they will be crawling on you.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best thing to do is be patient. Sit on the ground in their -slightly smaller- pen. They are very curious and sooner or later they will be crawling on you.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Got the two little black ones eating from my hand already. They walk up to me and sniff a little bit...not quite to the climbing part yet. But, it's only been since Sunday. I figure another week and they'll be fine. I'm a little worried about the smallest one. She seems to get bullied by the others a bit. Even when I catch the big one I can hold her and she'll eat from my hand. The little mocha-colored one won't at all. She'll drink and eat grass...but not the goat treats or food.

Latest posts

Top Bottom