Things That Surprised You...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of opportunities out there for travel on the road with a job to add some money to the till.
We are on the road 6-7 months out of the year in our RV and the only thing I regret is that it's not longer.
Do some research about mobile work and you might be surprised at what you can find. The only issue is finding a spot where you have internet and Wi-Fi access that can support whatever you want to do.
I would bet the farm there is a group somewhere out there on social media that can direct one to those locations. Some may not be the most awesome place you ever stayed, but visit what you want in the local area for fun and move along to the next.
Life on the road is an awesome experience.
I retired three years before my wife did. She has an incredible work ethic.
Every day after I retired, she came home and asked what I did today that was productive.
My reply was typically nothing, or mowed the yard.
Maybe tinkered around in the shop.
It really upset her for a long time and then just gave up.
6 months after she retired, we had a heart to heart one day and she finally said she now understood my answer. We are totally Complient now!
We don't do squat unless we want to, and we do it when we want to.
Back in the working days, we got so much work accomplished on the weekends.
Now it may take two weeks.
Life is good.
I'm curious what you do about your mail and prescriptions (if any) when out on the road?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of opportunities out there for travel on the road with a job to add some money to the till.
We are on the road 6-7 months out of the year in our RV and the only thing I regret is that it's not longer.
Do some research about mobile work and you might be surprised at what you can find. The only issue is finding a spot where you have internet and Wi-Fi access that can support whatever you want to do.
I would bet the farm there is a group somewhere out there on social media that can direct one to those locations. Some may not be the most awesome place you ever stayed, but visit what you want in the local area for fun and move along to the next.
Every day after I retired, she came home and asked what I did today that was productive.
6 months after she retired, we had a heart to heart one day and she finally said she now understood my answer. We are totally Complient now!
Life is good.
My wife asked me what I was gonna do when I retire. My answer is simple. I’m going to stop “doing” and start “being”. :)

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am surprised I got this old. Most of my friends bet I would not live to see 40. :P

And keep those little goats away from my wife! She wants one real bad and I do not think we could keep it in the yard and the city of Edmond would probably freak out.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Life is good.

Wife and I retired together in 2014 and began our RV traveling, although we did ours differently. We stayed in one place for months so that we could see more of the area before moving on. We ended up back in Oklahoma after our youngest son needed surgery and someone to help while he recuperated. Now, when we travel, we do hotels or VRBO's because it is cheaper than towing the fifth wheel all around.

Then, we stumbled into a great Summer job doing road surveys in other states. We each get paid a daily wage, a daily per deim, and the hotel and van expenses are on the company. So, we get paid to drive around and see new country.

We considered selling our RV, but where we are living is so inexpensive, we couldn't justify selling and then buying another home or renting an apartment or home.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're Nigerian Dwarfs...I doubt they'll get big enough to knock me over. Even the largest was easily caught and held...and she's the wild one. I'm guessing in about a month I'll have them following me around like a puppy.

View attachment 307619
Good old fashioned lawn mowers

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am surprised I got this old. Most of my friends bet I would not live to see 40. :P

And keep those little goats away from my wife! She wants one real bad and I do not think we could keep it in the yard and the city of Edmond would probably freak out.
But if she did get one you wouldn’t have to worry about mowing anymore

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand liking to work at a job you enjoy. After 14 years in the AF, 15 years as a cop and 13 years owning/running my own business I stumbled into the job of driving a propane truck. One of the best jobs I've ever had.

I'd go to work in the morning, with just one other guy when I worked in Colorado or by myself when I worked in Idaho, get my truck ready, and hit the road. Some days, in Idaho, I'd spend about 7.5 hours driving and enjoying the scenery and about .5 hours pumping gas.

I didn't know many people on my route but I knew all of the dogs! The pups thought the big blue truck was the Treat Delivery Vehicle.

I miss a lot of it. I miss the feeling of being part of something more important and bigger than just me and the camaraderie of the military and police work. I miss the people who'd stop in when I had my business. I miss the enjoyment of driving around a beautiful countryside to deliver gas and see my doggo friends.

But, I really enjoy the freedom of retirement and rural living. My wife has 4 kids with all their kids (her grandkids) and we visit them in TX frequently. I don't see mine as often as they're in AZ and AK. Most of our neighbors are cows and horses and donkeys. We get along great!

I've had challenges like everyone else but I feel very fortunate to be where I am in life, even though I live a very simple, uncomplicated existence.
CR, you’ve just described my life, I love it.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're Nigerian Dwarfs...I doubt they'll get big enough to knock me over. Even the largest was easily caught and held...and she's the wild one. I'm guessing in about a month I'll have them following me around like a puppy.

View attachment 307619
Goats mature by season not age if I remember right. May wake up one day and have different attitude but they still can be fun! Tasty too!

Latest posts

Top Bottom