Think I'm going back to brand X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think I'm going back to brand X.

I replaced these two broken strikers on my own. When my third broke, I emailed S&W and they had a new one in the mail box in 7 days.
[Broken External Image]
Then last night I was dry firing and noticed the nose of my striker laying on the floor..

Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 12:08 AM
To: Smith & Wesson Support
Subject: It happened again!

The nose on the new striker I received just a few days ago broke today during dryfire. I'm very sad because I love this pistol and this is the third striker I've gone through in the past 8,000 rounds. The first one lasted around 4,000. The other 2 around 2,000 each. Can I please have another one?

[My awesome name]
[My casa]
[OKC, OK, Zip]

Hi,

The striker assembly is going to wear prematurely if you dryfire at a high rate.
If you would like to purchase a new striker assembly you may contact our Parts
Department at 800-331-0852.
Thank you
kf

Since August or September last year my M&P9Pro has broken 3 strikers. Seems S&W doesn't want to send me another one. I sent them one more email with more imput. Maybe it'll work out. Or maybe I'll be shooting a 34 from now on.

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This comes straight from the FAQ's on the OFFICIAL S&W website. I would DEFINITELY cry foul on this one if they dont take care of you!

Q: Can I dry fire my Smith & Wesson?

A: Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 22A, 22S, 422, 2206, 2214, 2213 and 41.

.22 caliber revolvers such as models 17, 43, 63, 317 and 617 also should not be dry fired.

Q: Why can't I dry fire my .22 pistol or revolver?

A: Dry firing a S&W .22 pistol or revolver will cause damage to the firing pin.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think I'm going back to brand X.

I replaced these two broken strikers on my own. When my third broke, I emailed S&W and they had a new one in the mail box in 7 days.
[Broken External Image]
Then last night I was dry firing and noticed the nose of my striker laying on the floor..

Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 12:08 AM
To: Smith & Wesson Support
Subject: It happened again!

The nose on the new striker I received just a few days ago broke today during dryfire. I'm very sad because I love this pistol and this is the third striker I've gone through in the past 8,000 rounds. The first one lasted around 4,000. The other 2 around 2,000 each. Can I please have another one?

[My awesome name]
[My casa]
[OKC, OK, Zip]

Hi,

The striker assembly is going to wear prematurely if you dryfire at a high rate.
If you would like to purchase a new striker assembly you may contact our Parts
Department at 800-331-0852.
Thank you
kf

Since August or September last year my M&P9Pro has broken 3 strikers. Seems S&W doesn't want to send me another one. I sent them one more email with more imput. Maybe it'll work out. Or maybe I'll be shooting a 34 from now on.

Any striker/firing pin is going to have problems eventually from the shock experienced in dry firing. With a primer in place it has something to soften the impact, thus will be less likely to snap.

Dry Firing is not advocated by machinists or gunsmiths, it is advocated by tactical training people. It may help you in your ability to shoot your gun better, but it is very poor practice when it comes to the reliability of your gun.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
John Sanchez and Michael Plaxco taught the armorer's course I took in August on the M&P and they both said dry firing would not hurt the M&P series of pistol.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any striker/firing pin is going to have problems eventually from the shock experienced in dry firing. With a primer in place it has something to soften the impact, thus will be less likely to snap.

Dry Firing is not advocated by machinists or gunsmiths, it is advocated by tactical training people. It may help you in your ability to shoot your gun better, but it is very poor practice when it comes to the reliability of your gun.

Funny because I've dry fired damn near every gun I've ever owned at least 1,000 times. And nothing has ever broken except this one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom