Thinking about a 7mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some good points but I figured lighter weight big game would include pronghorn whitetail and mule deer And 7 Rem Mag brass is easy to find. 7 wsm and 7 saum is hard to find brass. The short 7's have can have short throats too.
You’re absolutely correct about the short throats in the two chamberings you spoke of. When I had GA Precision chamber my barrel I had it cut for Berger 180 grain VLD.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Browning X-Bolt chambered in 28 Nosler with a 1:8” twist. I’ve only shot the 162 gr ELD-X and it’s been a rack driver. I have other rounds to try just haven’t made it out there yet to test them. The downside to the newer 7mm magnum rounds is brass availability and reloading components. The biggest downside I see to the 28 Nosler is throat erosion, which I think the 7 PRC will have issues with as well.

I’m hoping the 175 gr Accubond LR provide similar results to the 162 ELD-X for larger game.

If I were doing it all over again I would consider a 30 Nosler, but I think my affinity for 7mm cartridges would steer me right back to the Nosler or 7 PRC. My first 7mm variant was my Ruger M77 in .284 Win.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Browning X-Bolt chambered in 28 Nosler with a 1:8” twist. I’ve only shot the 162 gr ELD-X and it’s been a rack driver. I have other rounds to try just haven’t made it out there yet to test them. The downside to the newer 7mm magnum rounds is brass availability and reloading components. The biggest downside I see to the 28 Nosler is throat erosion, which I think the 7 PRC will have issues with as well.

I’m hoping the 175 gr Accubond LR provide similar results to the 162 ELD-X for larger game.

If I were doing it all over again I would consider a 30 Nosler, but I think my affinity for 7mm cartridges would steer me right back to the Nosler or 7 PRC. My first 7mm variant was my Ruger M77 in .284 Win.
What do you think you would have gained from the 30 Nosler over the 28? I ask as what has kept me from getting one, is my 300 PRC. I've messed around with some 205 Berger's and reached 2900 easily with LRT and I have a good supply of Reloader 26 now, so I'm guessing I can break 3k safely.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you think you would have gained from the 30 Nosler over the 28? I ask as what has kept me from getting one, is my 300 PRC. I've messed around with some 205 Berger's and reached 2900 easily with LRT and I have a good supply of Reloader 26 now, so I'm guessing I can break 3k safely.

The only gains going to the 30 Nosler are heavier bullets and longer barrel life. The 7mm tend to have higher BCs which is why I went that route.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only gains going to the 30 Nosler are heavier bullets and longer barrel life. The 7mm tend to have higher BCs which is why I went that route.
Thanks. I need to play around with the 205's or maybe 215's when they get back in stock. 215's have more bearing surface and I should be able to load them longer.

I'm not as concerned about barrel life on a new lighter hunting rig as I am with my current 300 PRC. I doubt I would reach end of life (should be about a grand) on a 28 Nosler in 5-10 years for what little I hunt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom