Thinking About A New Car - Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never got a new car . never understood why so many people get them and know it is a loss.
worst investment you can ever make.. but it is not an investment I know.

Here is my take.
If I was held at gunpoint and had to spend a lot of money on a car it would be a restored or well worked over classic car that will always get the money back or more.

You will say You want reliability and do not want to work on it.. cold air comfy ride etc etc.

Well my answer to that is many old cars like 1969 camaro or older chevy or fords even chrysler products restored and updated with new model suspension and drivetrain .. they are everywhere and cost less many times than a new car and will be just as reliable if it is done right.

That is the bad part ..IF it is done right.

New cars never thrilled me. a free one maybe but to pay what they want and then 10 years later it is worth 1/20 of what you gave for it.

I am probably the only one who thinks that way.
Because there are sure a lot of new cars being bought and sold.

I love old cars too....so much that I have a small fleet of them in different stages of completion. (I never finish any of them....I work on them, enjoy them, and then send them on their way because I always want something else) I also drive and depend on a 10 year old truck that I really like. I don't buy brand new because HOLY CRAP you can spend a ridiculous amount of $$ on a new vehicle.

Any old car, even if it's stuffed full of new suspension and drivetrain, will need a level of maintenance far above a new or nearly new car. Some people don't have the skills (which you obviously have) or the interest to take that on.

I don't drive the latest and greatest because if I did I wouldn't have the $$ to indulge in my hobbies, but if I did, I'd have a new Ram Rebel. Something about those just clicks with me.

.......I've dragged this thread way off topic......so ignore everything I said.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never got a new car . never understood why so many people get them and know it is a loss.
worst investment you can ever make.. but it is not an investment I know.

Here is my take.
If I was held at gunpoint and had to spend a lot of money on a car it would be a restored or well worked over classic car that will always get the money back or more.

You will say You want reliability and do not want to work on it.. cold air comfy ride etc etc.

Well my answer to that is many old cars like 1969 camaro or older chevy or fords even chrysler products restored and updated with new model suspension and drivetrain .. they are everywhere and cost less many times than a new car and will be just as reliable if it is done right.

That is the bad part ..IF it is done right.

New cars never thrilled me. a free one maybe but to pay what they want and then 10 years later it is worth 1/20 of what you gave for it.

I am probably the only one who thinks that way.
Because there are sure a lot of new cars being bought and sold.

You must be a 1911 fan too! ;)

I love old cars, from the 20's all the way to the early 70's. They have style and character that new cars can't touch.

But for a DD, new cars have design, manufacturing processes, reliability, safety, stability, and convenience features that old cars just can't touch. Not even a $150K restomod is going to meet or exceed a new car in the same class for all those qualities.

I want an old car pretty bad right now, but I wouldn't trade my DD for one (08' Lexus GS460).

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually I do not care for pistols that have the barrel moving up after you shoot it.
1911 never thrilled me and I will admit it was just a couple years ago I learned what a 1911 was.
No idea as I hunt for food and if the gun was not a hunting gun my relatives and friends I hung out with did not have it.

But I got some different friends and learned a lot. still do not like barrels moving up..just seems wrong.
Heck maybe the 1911 does not do that IDK.

When thinking reliable "Old" rides I had in my mind an LS swap with something like 4L80 trans and 9" rear.
No reason that would not give you 100,000 miles of trouble free driving.

Of course the old 350 carbed engine with a Q jet and TH350 and HEI will do the same and either can double or triple that in life.

ahlosojoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently purchased my wife a Honda CRV. I am still a pick up man myself but I must admit this Honda CRV is a lot of car for the money. I had forgotten what a quite, smooth ride was. This car is a treat to ride in. I am a big man and usually have problems with head room and getting in and out of smaller cars...no problem this car is built for full size humans! It has the feel of a well built vehicle with plenty of power.

It has many deluxe features as well as it has been getting very good gas mileage...wife says she has to stop and drain off a little now and then. I am not easily impressed by cars but you ought to check this one out before you take the plunge. Oh yeah the price will leave you enough cash to take a really good hunting trip or buy the guns you have always needed even buy a very decent bass boat.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently purchased my wife a Honda CRV. I am still a pick up man myself but I must admit this Honda CRV is a lot of car for the money. I had forgotten what a quite, smooth ride was. This car is a treat to ride in. I am a big man and usually have problems with head room and getting in and out of smaller cars...no problem this car is built for full size humans! It has the feel of a well built vehicle with plenty of power.

It has many deluxe features as well as it has been getting very good gas mileage...wife says she has to stop and drain off a little now and then. I am not easily impressed by cars but you ought to check this one out before you take the plunge. Oh yeah the price will leave you enough cash to take a really good hunting trip or buy the guns you have always needed even buy a very decent bass boat.
Agree with you. I also purchased one. Quite impressed overall!

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When we shopped for my wife's ride we found out that you could buy a new Subaru for less money than the other small SUV's. The Forester is rated best in class by Consumer Reports.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Caddy xt5, I have a customer that has one for sale 2016 17,000 miles, $30,000.
Been in the shop countless times, mai ly electical and couter related. The bust was going home one night, they hit a bump and the entire upper console fell down. It had been rattling for a couple of weeks and they hadn't had time to get it in.

Buick Enclave. We have a 2012 (wifes). Love it. 18-24 mpg, seats 7. Bought it new from Bob Moore after the hail storm, beat up top and one side. $25,000 even, then spent $4,500 having hail pulled, $46,000 sticker. 85,000 miles so far and only hick up was an AC issue last year, $500.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife was talked into a Kia Sorento SUV by a third party, and was adamant she wanted one. Tons of bells and whistles, heated and cooled steering wheel, and seats including heated rear seats, traction control, lockers if needed for 4wd. Seats are very comfortable, and my pistol fits perfectly in the map pocket on the door.
I'll admit i was leery at first, but after three years now, its got a tad over 60K miles on it with ZERO maintenance issues. It is AWD and also includes the incline and decline control features that are very important to us as our gravel driveway qualifies as an offroad track at times, very steep. During periods of glaze ice, that decline traction control has proven itself.
Wife has slid out of control twice in her jeep grand cherokee careening from ditch to ditch on the way down our hill on ice two times now. Lots of damage both times.
The Kia drove down like there was no ice at all.
It also has three rows of seats if wanted although we have never rolled the third roll up, preferring the cargo space.
I'm a died in the wool Toyota lover, but this Kia has turned out to be a jewel. The V6 has plenty of HP for highway speed passing as well. The price is right too compared to some other name brand vehicles.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Toyota RAV4 for 16 years, best suv I ever had. Now I have a GMC pickup and really like it a lot and no trouble
so far. It's a 2013 and the RAV was a 1998. Toyota's are good cars and Hondas too. I had a Acura once and it was
a good car too. Probably most new cars are better and more reliable than the older ones were.

Latest posts

Top Bottom