Thinking about geting an AK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The inexplicable urge to obtain an AKM pattern rifle has struck me. I'm not sure where it came from but I haven't been able to shake it. My issue is that I really know very little about the platform. I'd like to get a good quality rifle but I don't want to throw a ton of money away chasing minor gains in functionality. Basically, I want one nice enough that I won't want to sell it and upgrade in short order.

I've been looking at the PSAK-47 GF3 Forged "MOEkov" Rifle from Palmetto State. My question is for those who - unlike myself - actually know what they're talking about. Is this a good rifle for jumping into the AK world? Is it more/less than I really need?

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aks are like 1970 Lincoln’s and some of the other tanks that existed then. They are tough as nails. They take a beating and keep running. If want to have a tried and true battle rifle the AK is a good choice. you wont find much better. However, if you want a pin point accurate rifle the AK is not for you. You won’t ever shoot MOA or sub with it. It’s all about the “accurate enough” concept. To me.... they are fun, but not my battle rifle choice. Ammo is dirt cheap. They shoot anything. Ammo is always available somewhere. You make the choice. I’ll tell that AKs are a lot like everything else. You get what you pay for. A 400.00 dollar AK is just that. The more expensive, and more brand name the better they tend to be.

Good luck

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aks are like 1970 Lincoln’s and some of the other tanks that existed then. They are tough as nails. They take a beating and keep running. If want to have a tried and true battle rifle the AK is a good choice. you wont find much better. However, if you want a pin point accurate rifle the AK is not for you. You won’t ever shoot MOA or sub with it. It’s all about the “accurate enough” concept. To me.... they are fun, but not my battle rifle choice. Ammo is dirt cheap. They shoot anything. Ammo is always available somewhere. You make the choice. I’ll tell that AKs are a lot like everything else. You get what you pay for. A 400.00 dollar AK is just that. The more expensive, and more brand name the better they tend to be.

Good luck

Much appreciated. I have an AR or two in case I ever get the crazy idea that my poor marksmanship is the fault of anything other than the shooter.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an Arsenal SA M-7 fixed stock carbine ten years ago, used for $485.00. no regrets, ever. Later, a side folder Arsenal SLR-107 CR carbine, new for $990. They both shoot best with the rear site pulled back, lowest setting. Battle sight zero. Point Of Aim, (POA), Point Of Impact from about 15 yds-100yds. Five shot groups off the bench always seem to throw a flyer at 100yds, opening a promising looking 3-4" group up to about 6". Flawless functioning with all ammo tried. Seen Arsenal brand carbines at gun shops and shows going for $1100-$1200. Amazes me how high priced they are, now. I thought $990. was real high.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Arsenal SAM7R -66 not to be confused with the one posted above. I think if you go ahead and get an Arsenal you will be really pleased in the long run.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everything that I read about the Arsenal builds is great - except the price. I understand paying for quality but they're beyond what I can justify spending at this point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom