Thinking about going over to the dark side...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of plastic pistols.

There. I said it.

As I get older, part of me wonders about a .45 in Commander length. But I can't afford a Colt, Kimber or Springer, so I'm forced to consider foreign made clones that, to me anyways, seems sacrilegious and unpatriotic.

What are some others (if any) that are American made?

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i mean, springfield armory is about as cheap as it gets. ~$500.

if you go any cheaper you're going to be making sacrifices.

from personal experience -- avoid Llama 1911s like the ****ing plague.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I know Llamas are bastard pistols that no Colt parts will fit.
A Springer for 5 bills? Maybe a 5 inch GI but not a Commander length with a beavertail GS, a slotted hammer and trigger, flared magwell, Novak style sights etc.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I know Llamas are bastard pistols that no Colt parts will fit.
A Springer for 5 bills? Maybe a 5 inch GI but not a Commander length with a beavertail GS [kaching!], a slotted hammer and trigger [kaching!], flared magwell [kaching!], Novak style sights etc. [kaching! etc.]

I assume you’re looking for a used model, with all those requirements and that tight of a budget ;) Have you considered a third-generation S&W 4563 (alloy frame) or 4566 (all steel)? I had one of each, and they were very nice DA/SA pistols.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger makes an excellent pistol, and they are of series 70 design, ifthat is a thing to you. I like that they are just a basic 1911, either Commmander Style or Govt Model in the correct lengths. Check prices online, I'd guess grabagun.com or Buds will have the best going.

But, if you do this, it's going to be hard to start callling you 1911 Commander 'em Down; I mean, it just doesn't have the same ring to it. That's somethinbg to consider you know.

Oldman62

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had my Ruger SR1911 Commander 4.25 barrel for about 2 yrs. Never had any problems out of it.
SR1911 1.JPG
SR1911 2.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom