Thinking about going over to the dark side...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1911s were never designed to be compact and if one were to ever give you issue, it would be a compact. A firm wrist is crucial with a compact or it wont cycle right.
You can limp wrist a full size or commander model and get away with it but not a compact.
Not that you have a limp wrist but just sayin...lol.

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never seen too many issues with a Commander Sized gun; now the little short 3" buggers...different story. As I seem to recall, the OP, 1911'em down, er, I mean Glock 'em down has said he was interested in a Commander maybe?

And I have to agree with JD8, for the money, the Ruger is hard to beat. Period. Were I to buy another 1911 LW Commander, or a Govt Model for that matter, it would be a Ruger. I think they pretty much have everything you need and nothing you don't. I'd spend the rest of my money, if I had any, on ammo.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I got off track because I went and read personofinterest's ad that was mentioned above also I know I'm supposed to have problems with the 3 inch 1911s because the internet told me so but as of now no problems.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm supposed to have problems with the 3 inch 1911s because the internet told me so but as of now no problems.
I've seen it first hand with a compact I bought for my ex wife. She just didnt have the wrist for it and it would stovepipe about every 3rd rnd, but it never malfunctioned for me.

Last edited:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I had a Kimber bushingless bull 4" "compact" model. It ran great - with good mags! - for a bout 750 rounds, and I'd have to replace the recoil spring. 1911s will always be range guns for me, so I'll stick with bushing barrels and 4.25" minimum length, preferably 5".

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Works great ATI 3.25 barrel. IMG_0182 (1).JPG

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya'll are running out of stuff to talk about, so I'll throw this out there. I'm not a 1911 guy, but I did own one some years ago. It was a Taurus PT-1911 with some pretty nice features. It shot seriously good and was malfunction free. I have read some down-side reports which seemed to be centered around the mags.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen several nice 1911s here on OSA in your price range, in fact a couple nice almost new condition SS Colt 1911s have shown up occasionally in your price range, but they do not last long if I can get to them quick enough. Woops, what did I say? Keep your eyes out if you are not in a hurry. New is nice, but if you are going to use it for EDC, pristine is not a requirement or even desired for me. I can overlook a little holster wear for $400 -$500. It will be that way soon anyhow with me carrying it. JMO

Latest posts

Top Bottom