Thinking About Growing Commercial Marijuana...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So Oklahoma has twice the amount of growers than Oregon?

And about 2.5x the patients registered last numbers OMMA gave 2 weeks + ago. So its probably more like 3x more patients registered than EVER was in Oregon. Ever. Also Oregon had 64,500 + Medical growers. So we are NOWHERE near the Oregon Saturation and won't be for a long time.

xring33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son in law in Kansas is going to grow industrial hemp. He had to get a bunch of permits and licenses just to do that and it is not the stuff that is used for recreational or medical purposes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i dont think they want you to have your cake and eat it too. Its one or the other, be able to defend yourself, or smoke weed.

Somebody that I work with owns a dispensary in turley. On their opening day they made $9,000 profit, on 4/20 they made $31,000 profit.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i dont think they want you to have your cake and eat it too. Its one or the other, be able to defend yourself, or smoke weed.

Somebody that I work with owns a dispensary in turley. On their opening day they made $9,000 profit, on 4/20 they made $31,000 profit.
Gross Sales less Overhead = Profit

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have someone that is specializing in marijuana growers and dispensaries at our agency. I'll say this, the saturation point will come sooner than you think. Everybody and their dog is getting into growing and there are some VERY large and sophisticated growers setting up, therefore you will have some attrition. They will undercut everyone in price, I guarantee it. Couple that with a number of these growers being horrible business owners and showing it already, they will be gone.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have someone that is specializing in marijuana growers and dispensaries at our agency. I'll say this, the saturation point will come sooner than you think. Everybody and their dog is getting into growing and there are some VERY large and sophisticated growers setting up, therefore you will have some attrition. They will undercut everyone in price, I guarantee it. Couple that with a number of these growers being horrible business owners and showing it already, they will be gone.

100% agree. Personally I would bet if you figure out the best and most efficient way to process the product, extracting and obtaining the oils and/or active cannabinoids so that the OK growers can sell the stuff to you (and you resell your extracts to dispensaries and such), you'll have quite the niche for yourself.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
100% agree. Personally I would bet if you figure out the best and most efficient way to process the product, extracting and obtaining the oils and/or active cannabinoids so that the OK growers can sell the stuff to you (and you resell your extracts to dispensaries and such), you'll have quite the niche for yourself.

That's the rub...there are folks all over the country who already know how to do this and have been doing it for years. Networks of those folks are spread out everywhere and will absolutely do it better and cheaper than one of us locals who just decides to do it out of the blue with zero experience in producing a commercial product on a large scale. Same for the growers.

I think the time to decide to get into any form of marijuana product production was long before the state passed medical marijuana.

That's not to say someone who is really passionate about it shouldn't cash-in everything they have and give it a whirl if they want to. The history of business successes is full of folks who went for the impossible and came out wealthy, but it ain't going to be easy money.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the rub...there are folks all over the country who already know how to do this and have been doing it for years. Networks of those folks are spread out everywhere and will absolutely do it better and cheaper than one of us locals who just decides to do it out of the blue with zero experience in producing a commercial product on a large scale.

The knowledge and experience is out there, but the product has to be grown, processed, and sold all within state lines. Since no one here is doing it yet, there's opportunities. (edit - well some are doing it here clearly. But it's another link in the supply chain in OK that is not simply growing or selling)

Sure the out of state processor middlemen can set up shop here, and I am sure some have. But if you're already here, then partnering or coop-ing or hiring from existing successful companies is certainly doable.

I know someone who has done this, and they've retired from their other full-time, long-time petroleum engineering career as a result.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The knowledge and experience is out there, but the product has to be grown, processed, and sold all within state lines. Since no one here is doing it yet, there's opportunities. (edit - well some are doing it here clearly. But it's another link in the supply chain in OK that is not simply growing or selling)

Sure the out of state processor middlemen can set up shop here, and I am sure some have. But if you're already here, then partnering or coop-ing or hiring from existing successful companies is certainly doable.

I know someone who has done this, and they've retired from their other full-time, long-time petroleum engineering career as a result.

Plenty are doing it already. There are something like 800 licensed processors in the state already. Roughly one processor for every 145 patients.

Sure, it has to be done within state lines, but people and the knowledge they have in that area are not restricted from coming in here and setting up shop (or helping others set up shop), even with the ownership restrictions in the law. I guarantee many of them were already here working on plans that were executed the minute the law went into effect. I'm just saying that starting now just puts you waaaay behind.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom