Thinking of moving to beautiful Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know why it’s so windy in Oklahoma?

Because Kansas blows and Texas sucks😂
Then it switches in the summer.

benttreedraw.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone hasn't mentioned Enid. Enid is just shy of 50,000 people and is surrounded by wide open spaces and farmland. Small towns within 20 to 30 miles of Enid supply you with the basics with the Saturday trip into town, you can stock up on anything you want. Okc is an hour and a half and Tulsa is about the same.

Enid is a medium sized town with a small town vibe and has one of the air force's pilot training bases. I see a lot of AF pilots talking about Enid on their podcasts. Enid has an old time town square where the county courthouse and sheriff's office are and it also has its' malls and shopping centers. It has a lot of parks and some have lakes with paddleboat rentals. I'm not up on it anymore but one even had a small zoo featuring a monkey cage that was huge.

Its major revenue comes from the AFB, farming, and oil production. If I had to move from OKC it would be to Enid.
Born and raised in Enid. The old time downtown is really going through a revitalization. The have a thing called First Friday with band and food trucks. It’s kinda like Edmonds Heard on Hurd. Not much for local entertainment but plenty of cool stuff within an hour or two. Canton lake, salt plains crystal digging, little Sahara dunes, gloss mountains etc.
One of the downsides is restaurant turnover. The Covid closed a bunch but they are coming back slowly. There are really no major chain sit-down places either.
Overall a quiet little town to kick back and retire in.
Oh yeah, forgot to add that there is a new brewery/bakery downtown that is really good!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Born and raised in Enid. The old time downtown is really going through a revitalization. The have a thing called First Friday with band and food trucks. It’s kinda like Edmonds Heard on Hurd. Not much for local entertainment but plenty of cool stuff within an hour or two. Canton lake, salt plains crystal digging, little Sahara dunes, gloss mountains etc.
One of the downsides is restaurant turnover. The Covid closed a bunch but they are coming back slowly. There are really no major chain sit-down places either.
Overall a quiet little town to kick back and retire in.
Oh yeah, forgot to add that there is a new brewery/bakery downtown that is really good!
You know I don't think I've ever been to Enid. I was invited to a big Independence Day bash there 20-25 years ago by some pretty cool folks that I met at a blues festival in Tulsa, but I didn't make it. I've always wondered what kind of party I missed.

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Come on down we'd be glad to have ya'll, I tell people all the time when I meet people from other parts of this great nation, Oklahoma is better than some and worse than others. But all in all, its hard to find a place now days that isn't getting liberals running from their own mistakes, only to try and create them all over again. Hopefully we can stop that.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend who lives in Greeley, Colorado. He hates living in CO but won't go thru the hassle of moving. He said he would absolutely NOT move to Oklahoma because of the tornadoes.

Greeley is in Weld County. Guess which county in the US has more tornadoes than any other, and almost twice as many as the most tornado-prone Oklahoma county (Caddo)?

I've been here for 34 years and have never seen a single tornado in person.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma is God's Country from Black Mesa to Beaver's Bend and anyone here saying otherwise is probably an infiltrator from Kansas.

"BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TORNADOES?!"

The Oklahoma weather is our best feature. It weeds out the non-hackers and weaklings, forces civic cooperation, and brings families and neighborhoods together in the constant battle for survival against Mother Nature.
I've had folks from out of state come to Oklahoma for business reasons. One of their first comments after a few days is that "your weather people on TV are serious about weather".
When traveling to their location in places like Cleveland Ohio, they just have a weather chic on that says today was crappy and tomorrow will be the same and that's the extent of their weather reporting.
No matter that we make fun of some of them on this forum, they do provide a service of getting the information gathered by the storm chasers and national radar to us in a timely manner. It saves lives.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been here for 34 years and have never seen a single tornado in person.
I've lived in Kay county for most of 70 years and have seen three, all did little damage and were weak.
I read once that Kay County at one time had the highest tornado activity per square mile in Ok, but it's generally F1's that pop out and go right back up. Vast areas where there are no homes.
There is a huge NWS radar system around Billings in Kay County that is one of the largest in the US, put there because so many tornado's begin their life in that area and they want to study them.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Likewise, I've spent most of my 76 years in Oklahoma and have NEVER had "eyes-on" a tornado. Up in the Panhandle many years ago, we did experience what "might" have been a tornado, but it also could have just been severe straight winds. It was nighttime and impossible to see anything.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hazy and thick humid air this morning. Weather guy said the haze is from Sahara Dust Storm. I bet the 80% humidity is responsible for most of the haze. Feels like you didn't dry off after stepping out of the shower.

ChrisWilson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Off subject but you guys complaining about chiggers I can tell you how to never be bothered by them, trick we were taught as young infantrymen at Ft Benning, you’ll think it’s BS but it works! Message me if you want to know!

Latest posts

Top Bottom