Thinking of moving to beautiful Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read everything you wrote. We just moved here from North Carolina last year, Charlotte area. Everything is better in Oklahoma but the weather, it sucks here. Outdoors is good here with lots of wildlife.

Don't like the weather? Wait until tomorrow. (except August, august sux?)
Avg temp 67°. Feb 0° Aug 110°
Light breezes, occasionally 50, rarely over 80mph

Last edited:

Wannabe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to be within driving distance of shopping but want to feel more rural, then Marlow/Duncan area are what you want plus, further south we less harsh winters. Great people and yes we have a walmart along with some other local business and our downtowns are full of mom and pop type shops. Good luck with your decision.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new here! I've been lurking for awhile and finally decided to hit "register". I feel safe asking about this here because I assume most of you are conservative like I am and won't throw shade at me for being one. We all know what that feels like.

My wife and I (34 & 33, no kids) have been thinking about making a move to Oklahoma. We are wanting to move south because we are just plum tired of the long winters in South Dakota/Minnesota, and I have a permanent knee injury that I have to keep safe and off the ice. If it happens again, I'll probably never walk correctly again. Because of this I generally take the winters off so I don't have to be outside at all from December-April, and that's not healthy either.

Oklahoma was considered because you guys are the reddest state in the nation and we are all about that. We thought about Texas but all of the conservative radio hosts and talk shows seem to feel Texas is going down the shitter (no offense to Texans here).

If there are other states that would fit us better, feel free to recommend them as well. I just feel with legislation the way that it is, some other bordering states would be pretty frightening in the coming months/years if the right people don't get in and do some ass kicking.

So you're probably wondering what we do. My wife is a medical lab scientist and she just got hired on as a traveler and will start in June. Which means we'll be selling our house, purchasing an RV, and hitting the road to various camp sites where there is a contract available to take (these change weekly so it's really nothing you can predict). We are also thinking of locking in a new house while interest rates are still low (but not for long, thanks Joe) yet we don't want to jump the gun and just throw a dart hoping for the best.

Work-wise, I'm a chameleon and practically do whatever I can via trade skills or playing shows (musician) to earn money. I'll pretty much work anywhere and as hard as I need to so that's no issue.

I've never explored Oklahoma much, but there's a few things that may or may not make a difference as far as geographical location.

Weather : For snow, if we get it, ideally I'd like to see it gone the same day or the next. Never more than a half inch at a time either (I realize the weather is unpredictable and there are exceptions, but as a rule this would be nice). We like exciting weather like humongous rolling thunderstorms and tornadoes. Obviously it's different when it hits your house and I'm not going to make light of that at all. I've never actually seen a tornado though, only on video (I'm sure that will change if we make the move). Would like it to be in the 50s during the winter months, and hopefully not more than 90 in the summer months (maybe I'm being ridiculous here).

Amenities : Love shopping. Both of us. However we like our space, too. I don't want to be on congested roadways or cities that have grown far beyond what they can handle. Bloat is what I call it. Would like an area that I can find my mechanic, doctor, grocery store, firing range, guitar shop, and taphouse without much fuss getting there. Would prefer a low crime area (doesn't everyone? well not San Franciscans). Are Oklahomans good drivers? (Do they crowd up both lanes on the highway like Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas does or do they use the left lane for passing like one should?)

Food : I will say we absolutely love Cajun food, it's a food group practically, and we realize we'll still be a far bit away from real Cajun but at least it can be accomplished on a weekend off (5-6 hr trip). I'd like some good stuff locally though. We can cook, but some nights we're just bushed and want a good meal. We have some okay places in South Dakota but it's pretty bland to be honest. The same supreme nachos from the local sports bar gets old after having it twice in one month.

Church : well it hasn't been in our life for awhile but I really need to get back into a congregation with my Christian brothers and sisters. Denomination doesn't particularly matter as long as it's the Bible being taught and not some limp noodle pastor who wants to just spread good vibes. I don't mind being uncomfortable at church from a sermon. I don't want to hear things like my sin is okay. I know it's not. I'm pretty jaded on people too but hopefully there's some pretty straight shooting Oklahomans who have been through the ringer a time or two and are worth trusting in. I'd like an area that isn't too cliquey but is accepting and face-value.

We could do a big city but we'd have to live on the outskirts in a suburb. I like my space too and am well aware of the Great Reset and what the hell is happening to our world. Being safe on your own land is a good idea, though even having just a little space would be okay. I'd like to be within 10-20 minutes of the nearest town/city with a Wal-Mart or grocery store and at be within 90 minutes or so of some great shopping whether that be Dallas or OKC or Tulsa. This isn't set in stone but just so there's a guideline.

If you read through all this, thank you, and I look forward to your responses. Thanks for having me in your community and I'm looking forward to having some great discussions about guns and reloading and plinking!
Welcome neighbor! WE have traveled in all 50 states, and many foreign nations, and Oklahoma is hard to beat overall. WE find good people everywhere we go, but for just plan ol, down to earth decent, honorable, people, this part of the country is hard to beat!

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t move to the OK Panhandle unless you like to drive for anything “the big towns” have. I’m 2 hours south of Garden City, KS and 2 Hours north of Amarillo, TX. 4.5 hours from OKC and about 5.5 hours Tulsa.

Honestly the only upside to where I live is I’m A LOT closer to the Rocky Mountains than the other members on this forum.

Oh and we get some pretty bad winters so you probably really do want to avoid this part of Oklahoma.
Yeah you guys don't get Saturday Night Live until Tuesday. Or so I've heard.

96A1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies and suggestions.

How's the far southeast corner of the state along Highway 70 (Durant, Idabel, Broken Bow, etc)? Looks like they may not get as much snow (maybe 2" a year compared to as much as 9" in other parts!) while being in proximity to Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana for possible job opportunities for the wife as well. Just tossing some ideas around. Thanks again!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

How's the far southeast corner of the state along Highway 70 (Durant, Idabel, Broken Bow, etc)? Looks like they may not get as much snow (maybe 2" a year compared to as much as 9" in other parts!) while being in proximity to Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana for possible job opportunities for the wife as well. Just tossing some ideas around. Thanks again!
Ice storms rather than snow 2x as much rain as the rest of the state, and lots of unwritten rules about not being places you're not supposed to be, etc ,etc. Great for a visit in the fall and winter but literally the last corner of the state I'd live. My dad was from se OK and he never wanted to go back lol. Some of resident locals can chime in I'm sure. Blue River is great trout fishing.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Broken Bow is really nice area. Spent tons of time on the Mountain Fork. It’s starting to look like mass exodus south on Sundays. Texans have moved in. The area has exploded. Buy now, property prices are rising. Great people down there. Have family in the area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom