Thinking of moving to beautiful Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ice storms rather than snow 2x as much rain as the rest of the state, and lots of unwritten rules about not being places you're not supposed to be, etc ,etc. Great for a visit in the fall and winter but literally the last corner of the state I'd live. My dad was from se OK and he never wanted to go back lol. Some of resident locals can chime in I'm sure. Blue River is great trout fishing.

The far southeast part of Oklahoma is very scenic, property values would likely be less than closer to a big city, but like most less populated areas, it hard to find a decent job.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are wanting to move south because we are just plum tired of the long winters in South Dakota/Minnesota, and I have a permanent knee injury that I have to keep safe and off the ice. If it happens again, I'll probably never walk correctly again. Because of this I generally take the winters off so I don't have to be outside at all from December-April, and that's not healthy either.
FWIW, extreme winter weather is possible about anywhere in the state. I'm about 5 miles north of the Texas line in Marshall county, and we've seen one 8 inch snow and one -11 degree low (not in the same year).

These are not the norm (here, anyway), but can happen.
___

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds as though Oklahoma would be an ideal destination for you. Winters are typically mild. Every few years you should expect an ice storm that shuts everything down for a few days, otherwise winter weather is fleeting. Up to now, Oklahoma has largely avoided carpet baggers, as Oklahoma is far too uncool for most liberal elites. The only place you are likely to find raging liberalism is college towns, and even those are leads wacky than other states. One thing to be aware of is that the economy of Oklahoma is locked to the energy sector, with all the good and bad that goes along with the oil patch. Right now, you should be able to find work same day as long as you have a clean record and can pass a drug test. Property values are still low compared to the coasts, but rising rapidly. As far as locations, any of the areas surrounding OKC and Tulsa would be good. You might also take a look at the Durant area. It still has a small town feel, but is close to the dfw metro area as well.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stay the hell away from the tornado capital of Oklahoma. Moore. The thunderstorms start around Lawton and Chickasha and head NE right up I-44. They kind of like to stop and party in Bridgecreek and Moore. Sometimes they move on to Tinker AFB and Draper Lake. The ones that are north of those usually follow I-44 from OKC to Tulsa right up the turnpike. We always set outside on the porch with a beer watching them.

Oh yeah, I hope if you travel to your Cajun meals you like turnpikes. We voted for one in the 50's that was supposed to turn back into a free access road but it made so much money they kept adding to the system. Now we are lousy with them. Technology has kept up though. Now they just bill your tag, you don't have to buy a transponder anymore.

Speaking of Cajun, Trapper's Fish Camp is our goto in OKC on Reno Ave. right by H and H gunshop and range. We are a constitutional carry state unless you travel and the other states don't recognize non permit states, we have permits too.

I'm proud Okieland is the reddest state in the union, after all, Oklahoma means Red People.
Just FYI you don't "buy" the transponder, you just pay on your account and when you do the "tag" pay the fee is almost double of having the pass which is good in Texas and Kansas

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like the Pauls Valley area might be a good spot to look.

@Roy14
The Valley is a good area. You don’t have access to EVERYTHING, but you’re 45 minutes to the metro which is only 20 minutes more than living in a suburban neighborhood attached to the metro. If you wanted a stand-alone town that has everything, ardmore, Shawnee, and Stillwater would be where I’d look. If I ever do move, it’ll be further away, somewhere the tax man can’t find me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom