Thinking of moving to beautiful Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jump's Roller Inn has been gone for over 10 years now -- maybe approaching 20 years. I moved to Fairfax in 1972 just before my senior year of high school. I worked at the Tastee-Freeze and was amazed at the parade of hunters coming through town on the Friday night before prairie chicken season opened. Some stopped where I worked and I'm sure others went to Jump's.

I've seen you mention the Cedar Vale Locker previously. I need to check that out for my freezer needs. An uncle operated a locker plant in Burden KS from the 1950s - 1970s when he retired and sold it. It continued for a while but wasn't able to keep the customers so I'm glad to hear of one still operating up there.
Yeah, I met the guy and he's doing a really good service to the surrounding area. He also owns the liquor store to the east of the locker. Since I drove all the way from OKC he knocked off $20 from the cost. He said he has access to really good pork and to let him know if I wanted any.
I still have his number.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get so mad sometimes. I’m reading reviews on bestplaces.net and these leftists get on and bash the state for not being more “tolerant”…yet they’re the most intolerant people ever.

I noticed OKC went 49% for Biden in 2020, is that palatable? Or do the leftists shut up around there? I don’t need pride flags or abortion baby killing billboards, or yard signs saying “tRuSt tHe sCiEnCe durr” all over the place. Makes me want to get out and rip em down because it’s killing our nation (the satanic belief systems - not the free speech).

Sorry but those things trigger me. I’ve had so much internet abuse from liberals that I have legitimate PTSD and I’m ready for a civil war. Though arguably we are in one and they’re winning with technology. Their father is satan.
Sigh.
Sorry for the attitude.
I don't know you from Adam but we are brothers in spirit!

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@96A1, are you retiring or getting a job? Ex-military? I work on Fort Sill and live in the Lawton/Faxon area. Good size town but not too big, and tons of restaurants. Looking for an apartment or getting a house with land? I have 3 acres outside city limits and can shoot in my backyard. Lots of factors to take into consideration. Elgin is an up-and-coming area with good schools, but I've had friends in the area get $40K in hail damage and I didn't get a single drop from the same storm.

96A1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
@96A1, are you retiring or getting a job? Ex-military? I work on Fort Sill and live in the Lawton/Faxon area. Good size town but not too big, and tons of restaurants. Looking for an apartment or getting a house with land? I have 3 acres outside city limits and can shoot in my backyard. Lots of factors to take into consideration. Elgin is an up-and-coming area with good schools, but I've had friends in the area get $40K in hail damage and I didn't get a single drop from the same storm.

Not ready to retire quite yet and I’ve not served in our military. A house with an acreage would be ideal. I handload so i’d be shooting all the time. :p

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jump's Roller Inn has been gone for over 10 years now -- maybe approaching 20 years. I moved to Fairfax in 1972 just before my senior year of high school. I worked at the Tastee-Freeze and was amazed at the parade of hunters coming through town on the Friday night before prairie chicken season opened. Some stopped where I worked and I'm sure others went to Jump's.

I've seen you mention the Cedar Vale Locker previously. I need to check that out for my freezer needs. An uncle operated a locker plant in Burden KS from the 1950s - 1970s when he retired and sold it. It continued for a while but wasn't able to keep the customers so I'm glad to hear of one still operating up there.
Jumps cooked sirloin steaks but man were they tasty. The cook would never divulge what he shook out of that sprinkler can for seasoning. The steak for two was a sight to be seen. 3/4 inch thick and draped over the sides of a big 12" oblong plate. Close to a pound and a half if not more.
There was an older heavy lady that waited tables there for many years. She deserved her own TV sitcom show. Her demeanor was dead pan as one could get. If one asked for a baked potato she would say we don't have any. When the customer would ask if they could cook one, she would just walk off. About a minute later she would come back to the table and in a cheery voice ask if she could take their order. The folks like us that ate there all the time could tell when the newbs were in the place typically when there was a home football game going on with the Red Devils. Guys would order the steak for two each. Waitress would deadpan, you can't eat it. They would grin at each other and say they could certainly eat it. They knew how small diner steaks were.
I think she went to the kitchen and picked out the biggest steaks in stock and had the cook make them for that table. The looks on the customers faces when getting those giant steaks was priceless!

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not ready to retire quite yet and I’ve not served in our military. A house with an acreage would be ideal. I handload so i’d be shooting all the time. :p
Then you definitely need to move out here by me! Lol. I shoot in my backyard. I have a little over an acre but there is about 200+ of woods behind my property and I know the man who owns it. I can hunt right off my back porch. Seriously though, I know it’s a hard decision as there are many places to choose from but I really do believe you would love it here. And if you do end up having kids south rock creek school (a small country school) is excellent. I live about 6 minutes from town. I also live the same distance from the small (tiny) town of Earlsboro, and there are a lot of nice areas there too. I won’t ever live anywhere else. I have quick access to I40 and Highway 9 to go to Norman or to Seminole. And going to Texas doesn’t take that long either. I can jump on 9 and hit 177 and then cut through Paul’s Valley to I35. I forgot to mention that besides our mall we have a Lowes, Hobby Lobby, TJ Max, Petsmart, Staples, and our Walmart is huge. We also have a tractor supply and a big Ace store. And we have a store called Dunhams. It’s like Academy only not as good. We have a decent size hospital and lots of medical clinics and pharmacies. My wife actually works for the hospital. If you have any questions send me a private message and I’ll be happy to answer them.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boy not enough suggestions for northeastern Okla. we are loaded with lakes, timber, access to Tulsa metro 550000 plus great airport , Small towns Pryor, Glenpool, Bixby, . Larger, Broken Arrow, Owasso, Sapulpa Tahlequah. LAKES, Grand, Hudson, Ft Gibson, Keystone, Eufaula, just to name a few. Cannot beat the beautiful countryside.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can’t go wrong with OK, a hidden jewel-of-a-state in my opinion. My wife & I are damn Yankees, moved here for family in ‘84. Best move ever. We love our adopted home state. All our six kids are born ‘n bred Okies.
Oklahoma is so diversified in geography and outdoor activities, all within hours of drive time.
I agree with positive comments previously recorded. We welcome like minded responsible citizens.
Best of luck, God Bless

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma has a broad range of scenery and terrain to along with great people. You will certainly find what's right for you.

I'm an heir to a great piece of property in Owasso where I grew up. House on 4 acres in a prime location. My brother's widow has a very nice 10 acres for sale near Talala. Secluded but close to everything. PM me if you'd like more details.

Latest posts

Top Bottom