Thinking of moving to beautiful Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96A1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new here! I've been lurking for awhile and finally decided to hit "register". I feel safe asking about this here because I assume most of you are conservative like I am and won't throw shade at me for being one. We all know what that feels like.

My wife and I (34 & 33, no kids) have been thinking about making a move to Oklahoma. We are wanting to move south because we are just plum tired of the long winters in South Dakota/Minnesota, and I have a permanent knee injury that I have to keep safe and off the ice. If it happens again, I'll probably never walk correctly again. Because of this I generally take the winters off so I don't have to be outside at all from December-April, and that's not healthy either.

Oklahoma was considered because you guys are the reddest state in the nation and we are all about that. We thought about Texas but all of the conservative radio hosts and talk shows seem to feel Texas is going down the shitter (no offense to Texans here).

If there are other states that would fit us better, feel free to recommend them as well. I just feel with legislation the way that it is, some other bordering states would be pretty frightening in the coming months/years if the right people don't get in and do some ass kicking.

So you're probably wondering what we do. My wife is a medical lab scientist and she just got hired on as a traveler and will start in June. Which means we'll be selling our house, purchasing an RV, and hitting the road to various camp sites where there is a contract available to take (these change weekly so it's really nothing you can predict). We are also thinking of locking in a new house while interest rates are still low (but not for long, thanks Joe) yet we don't want to jump the gun and just throw a dart hoping for the best.

Work-wise, I'm a chameleon and practically do whatever I can via trade skills or playing shows (musician) to earn money. I'll pretty much work anywhere and as hard as I need to so that's no issue.

I've never explored Oklahoma much, but there's a few things that may or may not make a difference as far as geographical location.

Weather : For snow, if we get it, ideally I'd like to see it gone the same day or the next. Never more than a half inch at a time either (I realize the weather is unpredictable and there are exceptions, but as a rule this would be nice). We like exciting weather like humongous rolling thunderstorms and tornadoes. Obviously it's different when it hits your house and I'm not going to make light of that at all. I've never actually seen a tornado though, only on video (I'm sure that will change if we make the move). Would like it to be in the 50s during the winter months, and hopefully not more than 90 in the summer months (maybe I'm being ridiculous here).

Amenities : Love shopping. Both of us. However we like our space, too. I don't want to be on congested roadways or cities that have grown far beyond what they can handle. Bloat is what I call it. Would like an area that I can find my mechanic, doctor, grocery store, firing range, guitar shop, and taphouse without much fuss getting there. Would prefer a low crime area (doesn't everyone? well not San Franciscans). Are Oklahomans good drivers? (Do they crowd up both lanes on the highway like Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas does or do they use the left lane for passing like one should?)

Food : I will say we absolutely love Cajun food, it's a food group practically, and we realize we'll still be a far bit away from real Cajun but at least it can be accomplished on a weekend off (5-6 hr trip). I'd like some good stuff locally though. We can cook, but some nights we're just bushed and want a good meal. We have some okay places in South Dakota but it's pretty bland to be honest. The same supreme nachos from the local sports bar gets old after having it twice in one month.

Church : well it hasn't been in our life for awhile but I really need to get back into a congregation with my Christian brothers and sisters. Denomination doesn't particularly matter as long as it's the Bible being taught and not some limp noodle pastor who wants to just spread good vibes. I don't mind being uncomfortable at church from a sermon. I don't want to hear things like my sin is okay. I know it's not. I'm pretty jaded on people too but hopefully there's some pretty straight shooting Oklahomans who have been through the ringer a time or two and are worth trusting in. I'd like an area that isn't too cliquey but is accepting and face-value.

We could do a big city but we'd have to live on the outskirts in a suburb. I like my space too and am well aware of the Great Reset and what the hell is happening to our world. Being safe on your own land is a good idea, though even having just a little space would be okay. I'd like to be within 10-20 minutes of the nearest town/city with a Wal-Mart or grocery store and at be within 90 minutes or so of some great shopping whether that be Dallas or OKC or Tulsa. This isn't set in stone but just so there's a guideline.

If you read through all this, thank you, and I look forward to your responses. Thanks for having me in your community and I'm looking forward to having some great discussions about guns and reloading and plinking!

Last edited:

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might be happy in one of the suburbs like Mustang or Bethany, right around OKC. Decent schools if you plan to have kids, lots of dog parks and shopping close by. And the cost of living in both of those towns is pretty low. Tulsa has more blue-minded folk (think Austin in the 90s) and more snow, so I'd duck Tulsa entirely if I were in your shoes.

Stay away from Midwest City and Del City, both are dumps, and anything on the northeast side.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you like extreme changes in weather from 70 to 20 in a day with 30 mile winds in the winter and as hot as 105+ in Summer with 60% humidity and tornadoes and hail in March- May it is for you. That said people are great here. Good churches. Reasonable cost of land and living. My daughter is in Rochester Mn and likes it but can’t wait to come home. Come on you’ll like it.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might be happy in one of the suburbs like Mustang or Bethany, right around OKC. Decent schools if you plan to have kids, lots of dog parks and shopping close by. And the cost of living in both of those towns is pretty low. Tulsa has more blue-minded folk (think Austin in the 90s) and more snow, so I'd duck Tulsa entirely if I were in your shoes.

Stay away from Midwest City and Del City, both are dumps, and anything on the northeast side.
Like he says. I graduated from Mustang and it’s grown. I live on the edge of Bethany in Warr Acres and very happy. Big lot and a shop.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live in North Central Ok. Basically 100 miles from Oklahoma City, Tulsa or Wichita Ks.
Small town of 28,000 that is typical of cities of that size. Good schools. Mostly conservative.
If you're into hunting/fishing, just about anywhere in Ok is a mecca for that.
If you're into semi urban living, OKC or Tulsa would be the place to move. Lots of suburbs and subdivisions on the outskirts with a short drive to the city center.
What's amazing is that the OKC area in the central part of the state gets much more snow than the northern counties where we live. We rarely get snow while the central gets dumped on occasionally. It's cleared up in a day or two.
Personally, I can't live in the city. We are in the country and visit the city only when necessary.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay the hell away from the tornado capital of Oklahoma. Moore. The thunderstorms start around Lawton and Chickasha and head NE right up I-44. They kind of like to stop and party in Bridgecreek and Moore. Sometimes they move on to Tinker AFB and Draper Lake. The ones that are north of those usually follow I-44 from OKC to Tulsa right up the turnpike. We always set outside on the porch with a beer watching them.

Oh yeah, I hope if you travel to your Cajun meals you like turnpikes. We voted for one in the 50's that was supposed to turn back into a free access road but it made so much money they kept adding to the system. Now we are lousy with them. Technology has kept up though. Now they just bill your tag, you don't have to buy a transponder anymore.

Speaking of Cajun, Trapper's Fish Camp is our goto in OKC on Reno Ave. right by H and H gunshop and range. We are a constitutional carry state unless you travel and the other states don't recognize non permit states, we have permits too.

I'm proud Okieland is the reddest state in the union, after all, Oklahoma means Red People.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In a typical winter expect there to be 3-7 waves of weather events with snow. Most of the time snow will stay on the ground 1-3 days with primary roads being clear on day 2 and secondary cleared on day 3. About every 8 years expect a really harsh winter where you'll wish for a generator to keep the house warm and the lights on, this will last 7-12 days. Expect more weather extremes in the NW region of the state. More rain in the eastern third of the state. Anywhere you choose, be sure to have a tornado shelter. You will need it. Oklahoma Climatological Survey | Total Number of Tornadoes by County (1950-2021)

If the shelter is underground, be sure to keep the snakes out, nothing worse than dealing with rattlesnakes while a tornado is in the front yard.

Weather seasons are probably more balanced in Oklahoma than any other state. Each season lasts roughly the same number of days, whereas South Dakota/Minnesota is 9 months cold, 3 months warm.

Land will range from less expensive to over priced beginning in the NW continuing to the W, SW, North Central, North East, with the South Central and South East being the most expensive. Houses on small acreages will be less expensive when you get farther away from Texas, OKC and Tulsa.

Texas is trying to not circle the toilet drain, too da#n many liberals have moved into the Houston, Austin and DFW area over the last 20 years. Da#n place is turning purple in many counties, some are a lost cause (Houston, Austin, Dallas County). The conservative Democrats no longer exist and the extreme left are active, vocal and moving here. Don't encourage companies to move to Oklahoma unless you want the liberals moving in also.

96A1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay the hell away from the tornado capital of Oklahoma. Moore. The thunderstorms start around Lawton and Chickasha and head NE right up I-44. They kind of like to stop and party in Bridgecreek and Moore. Sometimes they move on to Tinker AFB and Draper Lake. The ones that are north of those usually follow I-44 from OKC to Tulsa right up the turnpike. We always set outside on the porch with a beer watching them.

Oh yeah, I hope if you travel to your Cajun meals you like turnpikes. We voted for one in the 50's that was supposed to turn back into a free access road but it made so much money they kept adding to the system. Now we are lousy with them. Technology has kept up though. Now they just bill your tag, you don't have to buy a transponder anymore.

Speaking of Cajun, Trapper's Fish Camp is our goto in OKC on Reno Ave. right by H and H gunshop and range. We are a constitutional carry state unless you travel and the other states don't recognize non permit states, we have permits too.

I'm proud Okieland is the reddest state in the union, after all, Oklahoma means Red People.

I've heard that tornado alley is moving eastward now, into Arkansas and Mississippi. Perhaps this is a question for lifelong Okies but is the tornado frequency less than it used to be? I remember hearing about Moore and Bridge Creek, particularly the 1999 tornado(es?) and in 2013. I remember growing up watching VHS specials and TLC documentaries and nearly everything was in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. They were all crystal clear, wide open, dancing across the plains. Now it seems it's all Iowa, Missouri, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Tennessee and they're all rain wrapped. The more recent tragedies that come to mind are Joplin MO and Tuscaloosa AL. Guess they're not so recent anymore (time flies!). There was an outbreak last Oct in OKC though right? Maybe it's all random.

96A1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Land will range from less expensive to over priced beginning in the NW continuing to the W, SW, North Central, North East, with the South Central and South East being the most expensive. Houses on small acreages will be less expensive when you get farther away from Texas, OKC and Tulsa.

Texas is trying to not circle the toilet drain, too da#n many liberals have moved into the Houston, Austin and DFW area over the last 20 years. Da#n place is turning purple in many counties, some are a lost cause (Houston, Austin, Dallas County). The conservative Democrats no longer exist and the extreme left are active, vocal and moving here. Don't encourage companies to move to Oklahoma unless you want the liberals moving in also.
Thanks for the housing analysis there. I forgot to mention we were looking for a bang for our buck!

And I totally agree. Leftists ruin everything. The more conservative democrats have either tapped out of the game or moved over to the right. The ones that have remained have only gotten legitimately crazier and more disruptive. It's not even worth finding middle ground with them anymore. You can't reason with insanity (and that's a genuine analysis). The modern democrat is never satisfied with anything except total domination, and even then it's not enough. I think we mentioned tornadoes. They're a lot like that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom