Thinking of moving to beautiful Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knight Fighters

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new here! I've been lurking for awhile and finally decided to hit "register". I feel safe asking about this here because I assume most of you are conservative like I am and won't throw shade at me for being one. We all know what that feels like.

My wife and I (34 & 33, no kids) have been thinking about making a move to Oklahoma. We are wanting to move south because we are just plum tired of the long winters in South Dakota/Minnesota, and I have a permanent knee injury that I have to keep safe and off the ice. If it happens again, I'll probably never walk correctly again. Because of this I generally take the winters off so I don't have to be outside at all from December-April, and that's not healthy either.

Oklahoma was considered because you guys are the reddest state in the nation and we are all about that. We thought about Texas but all of the conservative radio hosts and talk shows seem to feel Texas is going down the shitter (no offense to Texans here).

If there are other states that would fit us better, feel free to recommend them as well. I just feel with legislation the way that it is, some other bordering states would be pretty frightening in the coming months/years if the right people don't get in and do some ass kicking.

So you're probably wondering what we do. My wife is a medical lab scientist and she just got hired on as a traveler and will start in June. Which means we'll be selling our house, purchasing an RV, and hitting the road to various camp sites where there is a contract available to take (these change weekly so it's really nothing you can predict). We are also thinking of locking in a new house while interest rates are still low (but not for long, thanks Joe) yet we don't want to jump the gun and just throw a dart hoping for the best.

Work-wise, I'm a chameleon and practically do whatever I can via trade skills or playing shows (musician) to earn money. I'll pretty much work anywhere and as hard as I need to so that's no issue.

I've never explored Oklahoma much, but there's a few things that may or may not make a difference as far as geographical location.

Weather : For snow, if we get it, ideally I'd like to see it gone the same day or the next. Never more than a half inch at a time either (I realize the weather is unpredictable and there are exceptions, but as a rule this would be nice). We like exciting weather like humongous rolling thunderstorms and tornadoes. Obviously it's different when it hits your house and I'm not going to make light of that at all. I've never actually seen a tornado though, only on video (I'm sure that will change if we make the move). Would like it to be in the 50s during the winter months, and hopefully not more than 90 in the summer months (maybe I'm being ridiculous here).

Amenities : Love shopping. Both of us. However we like our space, too. I don't want to be on congested roadways or cities that have grown far beyond what they can handle. Bloat is what I call it. Would like an area that I can find my mechanic, doctor, grocery store, firing range, guitar shop, and taphouse without much fuss getting there. Would prefer a low crime area (doesn't everyone? well not San Franciscans). Are Oklahomans good drivers? (Do they crowd up both lanes on the highway like Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas does or do they use the left lane for passing like one should?)

Food : I will say we absolutely love Cajun food, it's a food group practically, and we realize we'll still be a far bit away from real Cajun but at least it can be accomplished on a weekend off (5-6 hr trip). I'd like some good stuff locally though. We can cook, but some nights we're just bushed and want a good meal. We have some okay places in South Dakota but it's pretty bland to be honest. The same supreme nachos from the local sports bar gets old after having it twice in one month.

Church : well it hasn't been in our life for awhile but I really need to get back into a congregation with my Christian brothers and sisters. Denomination doesn't particularly matter as long as it's the Bible being taught and not some limp noodle pastor who wants to just spread good vibes. I don't mind being uncomfortable at church from a sermon. I don't want to hear things like my sin is okay. I know it's not. I'm pretty jaded on people too but hopefully there's some pretty straight shooting Oklahomans who have been through the ringer a time or two and are worth trusting in. I'd like an area that isn't too cliquey but is accepting and face-value.

We could do a big city but we'd have to live on the outskirts in a suburb. I like my space too and am well aware of the Great Reset and what the hell is happening to our world. Being safe on your own land is a good idea, though even having just a little space would be okay. I'd like to be within 10-20 minutes of the nearest town/city with a Wal-Mart or grocery store and at be within 90 minutes or so of some great shopping whether that be Dallas or OKC or Tulsa. This isn't set in stone but just so there's a guideline.

If you read through all this, thank you, and I look forward to your responses. Thanks for having me in your community and I'm looking forward to having some great discussions about guns and reloading and plinking!
Hey Chris. I hope you do come down. I think we hit most of your requirements with the exception of weather. The winters are colder than you might expect and the summers are quite hot. When it comes to church, I can definitely recommend ours but it does take a thick skin to attend (Grace Baptist Church in Bixby). Our preacher doesn't receive a salary and we don't take up offering - but there is a bucket in the back for donations. I'd say were better at barbeque then Cajun but I'm a big fan of Cajun as well. I spent two of my Army years way down there and ate pretty well :). Bixby is a great area for being close to Tulsa but still in the country. You can go a bit further south if you want to be very rural. I hope things go well on your new adventure.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hazy and thick humid air this morning. Weather guy said the haze is from Sahara Dust Storm. I bet the 80% humidity is responsible for most of the haze. Feels like you didn't dry off after stepping out of the shower.
This is nothing compared to San Antonio or Houston.

At 6 a.m. I walked out of my hotel in San Antonio with 90 degrees and 90% humidity and no wind.

I melted.

It then got up to 108 with 90% humidity around 3 p.m. I was a wreck. I had to shut down work or I would fry. The day I left it got up to 110 with 92% humidity.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is nothing compared to San Antonio or Houston.

At 6 a.m. I walked out of my hotel in San Antonio with 90 degrees and 90% humidity and no wind.

I melted.

It then got up to 108 with 90% humidity around 3 p.m. I was a wreck. I had to shut down work or I would fry. The day I left it got up to 110 with 92% humidity.
I looked at the nationwide map of RH. This morning we were the same as Houston. San Antonio no where close to 90%. It was pretty close to half of that.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a tornado spotter for my community. I have seen my share. Most were miles away heading towards us then took a turn left or right or just roped out and skipped over us. When I went to tornado spotting school, Gary England taught the class. He showed us a video of a guy standing in one spot doing a 360 pivot with his video camera. He caught a tornado on video then turned a few degrees and said, "That's number two." Then number three, number four, number five and then number six. He had videoed six tornados surrounding him. All of the six were in different stages of development. Some were feisty and funnel shaped and others were tall skinny ropes in their final evolvement.

For the life of me, I cannot find that video anywhere on the web. I did see the video in the 80's so It was before the internet and cell phones.

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new here! I've been lurking for awhile and finally decided to hit "register". I feel safe asking about this here because I assume most of you are conservative like I am and won't throw shade at me for being one. We all know what that feels like.

My wife and I (34 & 33, no kids) have been thinking about making a move to Oklahoma. We are wanting to move south because we are just plum tired of the long winters in South Dakota/Minnesota, and I have a permanent knee injury that I have to keep safe and off the ice. If it happens again, I'll probably never walk correctly again. Because of this I generally take the winters off so I don't have to be outside at all from December-April, and that's not healthy either.

Oklahoma was considered because you guys are the reddest state in the nation and we are all about that. We thought about Texas but all of the conservative radio hosts and talk shows seem to feel Texas is going down the shitter (no offense to Texans here).

If there are other states that would fit us better, feel free to recommend them as well. I just feel with legislation the way that it is, some other bordering states would be pretty frightening in the coming months/years if the right people don't get in and do some ass kicking.

So you're probably wondering what we do. My wife is a medical lab scientist and she just got hired on as a traveler and will start in June. Which means we'll be selling our house, purchasing an RV, and hitting the road to various camp sites where there is a contract available to take (these change weekly so it's really nothing you can predict). We are also thinking of locking in a new house while interest rates are still low (but not for long, thanks Joe) yet we don't want to jump the gun and just throw a dart hoping for the best.

Work-wise, I'm a chameleon and practically do whatever I can via trade skills or playing shows (musician) to earn money. I'll pretty much work anywhere and as hard as I need to so that's no issue.

I've never explored Oklahoma much, but there's a few things that may or may not make a difference as far as geographical location.

Weather : For snow, if we get it, ideally I'd like to see it gone the same day or the next. Never more than a half inch at a time either (I realize the weather is unpredictable and there are exceptions, but as a rule this would be nice). We like exciting weather like humongous rolling thunderstorms and tornadoes. Obviously it's different when it hits your house and I'm not going to make light of that at all. I've never actually seen a tornado though, only on video (I'm sure that will change if we make the move). Would like it to be in the 50s during the winter months, and hopefully not more than 90 in the summer months (maybe I'm being ridiculous here).

Amenities : Love shopping. Both of us. However we like our space, too. I don't want to be on congested roadways or cities that have grown far beyond what they can handle. Bloat is what I call it. Would like an area that I can find my mechanic, doctor, grocery store, firing range, guitar shop, and taphouse without much fuss getting there. Would prefer a low crime area (doesn't everyone? well not San Franciscans). Are Oklahomans good drivers? (Do they crowd up both lanes on the highway like Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas does or do they use the left lane for passing like one should?)

Food : I will say we absolutely love Cajun food, it's a food group practically, and we realize we'll still be a far bit away from real Cajun but at least it can be accomplished on a weekend off (5-6 hr trip). I'd like some good stuff locally though. We can cook, but some nights we're just bushed and want a good meal. We have some okay places in South Dakota but it's pretty bland to be honest. The same supreme nachos from the local sports bar gets old after having it twice in one month.

Church : well it hasn't been in our life for awhile but I really need to get back into a congregation with my Christian brothers and sisters. Denomination doesn't particularly matter as long as it's the Bible being taught and not some limp noodle pastor who wants to just spread good vibes. I don't mind being uncomfortable at church from a sermon. I don't want to hear things like my sin is okay. I know it's not. I'm pretty jaded on people too but hopefully there's some pretty straight shooting Oklahomans who have been through the ringer a time or two and are worth trusting in. I'd like an area that isn't too cliquey but is accepting and face-value.

We could do a big city but we'd have to live on the outskirts in a suburb. I like my space too and am well aware of the Great Reset and what the hell is happening to our world. Being safe on your own land is a good idea, though even having just a little space would be okay. I'd like to be within 10-20 minutes of the nearest town/city with a Wal-Mart or grocery store and at be within 90 minutes or so of some great shopping whether that be Dallas or OKC or Tulsa. This isn't set in stone but just so there's a guideline.

If you read through all this, thank you, and I look forward to your responses. Thanks for having me in your community and I'm looking forward to having some great discussions about guns and reloading and plinking!
Move to Edmond, Lakes, Gun Club, Sporting Clays and at least 5 world champions in Shooting Sports. Horse Ranches, Many Great Golf Courses, Good Schools, ect. We have a Real Estate Brokerage and work the entire OKC Metro. Good Schools, Central State University, Several new Hospitals. Rush hour Traffic can suck but you learn were to avoid pretty quick.

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at the nationwide map of RH. This morning we were the same as Houston. San Antonio no where close to 90%. It was pretty close to half of that.
Ive been in the Snyder, W Texas for several years and its runs 3-10% humidity and seems a lot cooler than the Oklahoma higher humidity. My skin and breathing seems to do better in the arid semi desert region of Texas.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a buddy who is a medical lab scientist here in OKC, hes the manager of a lab and always looking for qualified help. I could hook you up. North of Mustang near I-40 IIRC is where the lab is located.

Latest posts

Top Bottom