Third Series Colt Woodsman Target Slide Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapnD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a nice Colt Woodsman I am having an issue removing the slide from the frame and I am wondering if anyone has any expertise they would be willing to share.

This is not the typical and common tear down issue of capturing the recoil spring or any type of reassembly problem. I have removed everything from the frame except the sear and the trigger assembly. Meaning I have removed the magazine, grips, the main spring housing and sear spring, the hammer and hammer strut assembly, the slide stop assembly and safety, Additionally, I have removed the recoil spring from within the slide. (Yes, I know they are a bear to put back in correctly, but I have done it many times successfully).

My issue is, with all of this removed the slide will NOT slide off of the frame. It slides smoothly forwards and backwards and gets close to 2/3rds off the back of the frame and then it feels as if something is preventing it from continuing to slide. I am hesitant to apply too much force, but I can look from the bottom of the frame and slide and nothing appears to impeding its progress. This slide should easily slide off this frame, but it will not. This is a relatively new acquisition for me and I have never disassembled this particular Woodsman. A little frustrated with this one, but I am taking a pause and asking for directions. Something I don't typically do when I'm driving!

I am interested in any thoughts or knowledge. -- Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

CapnD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Start at 5:15

Thanks Snattle .... I did watch that video earlier today because I thought it might enlighten me. I have removed the pin and the main spring housing and it is SUPPOSED to slide off just like he shows in the video.... No dice.... It slides loose until it doesn't and it just sticks and I am reluctant to force it....

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have one and never had. I just looked it up too. If it doesn't come off like it shows then you definitely have something wrong with the gun or out of place. Don't force it. Call @SPDguns.

CapnD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hanging on the assembly lock and plunger?

No, it slides past the assembly lock and plunger. Here's three pictures, it won't slide won't backwards any further than the profile picture of the slide. The other two show an underneath view of the slide retracted as far back as I could pull the slide before it hangs.....

IMG_0848.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

IMG_0847.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom