This Ammo Shortage is Worse Than Last Time!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember back when a case of Blazer Brass 9mm was $80/case. Grumpy and I bought a Dillon 550 with Bush's stimulus check. People made fun of us because "ammo is cheap". We were repairing for roughly 75% what a case of ammo cost us. (I worked at H&H so the employee discount factored into the price. If I had been paying retail for the components it would have been more like 50% of retail.) I cannot even imagine how much money I've saved over the years -- and I've never lacked for ammo, regardless of what the shelves in the stores looked like.

A LGS that shall remain nameless is charging a damned arm and a leg for ammo. I'm still reloading. Lol

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought quite a bit of 22 ammo and 9mm when walmart stopped selling the centerfire pistol ammo.I picked up 3000 rounds of 9mm at 9 or 10 cents a round. I plan to stretch the ammo i have out for awhile and slowly taper off.I get a hearing test every 2 years and was surprised at the amount of hearing i have lost in just 2 years so i may just find something else to spend my money on for awhile.The hearing doctor suggested i find another hobby so i plan to do some more traveling in the fall.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought quite a bit of 22 ammo and 9mm when walmart stopped selling the centerfire pistol ammo.I picked up 3000 rounds of 9mm at 9 or 10 cents a round. I plan to stretch the ammo i have out for awhile and slowly taper off.I get a hearing test every 2 years and was surprised at the amount of hearing i have lost in just 2 years so i may just find something else to spend my money on for awhile.The hearing doctor suggested i find another hobby so i plan to do some more traveling in the fall.

Maybe invest in really good hearing protection?

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember back when a case of Blazer Brass 9mm was $80/case. Grumpy and I bought a Dillon 550 with Bush's stimulus check. People made fun of us because "ammo is cheap". We were repairing for roughly 75% what a case of ammo cost us. (I worked at H&H so the employee discount factored into the price. If I had been paying retail for the components it would have been more like 50% of retail.) I cannot even imagine how much money I've saved over the years -- and I've never lacked for ammo, regardless of what the shelves in the stores looked like.

A LGS that shall remain nameless is charging a damned arm and a leg for ammo. I'm still reloading. Lol

Do you have a sister???

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe invest in really good hearing protection?
I have some Peltors that were close to $200.00 that i have used for the last 5 or 6 years.Plus i always use macks swim ear plugs too.At the time i bought the Peltors they were the best on the market that i could find.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some Peltors that were close to $200.00 that i have used for the last 5 or 6 years.Plus i always use macks swim ear plugs too.At the time i bought the Peltors they were the best on the market that i could find.

That should have done it alright. I do not know if there is anything better now but I am sure someone will be along that knows.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I loaded over 25 pounds of 69 gr. .224 bullets in the past 10 days and over 12 pounds of powder. That Dillon 650 has been gettin it. I'm working on a deal to trade some 9mm casings for some .38 spl. So if that works out I'll be loading 850 rds of .38 spl. next week. I'm buying a .357 lever rifle Mon. ( if that works out) so I'll need some xtra ammo for it. My reloading/gun room is in the house, so reloading keeps me busy and out of the heat.
I have a thousand or more .38 special brass. Two big coffee cans full.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only bright side to this is the excise tax that manufactures pay to the US Fish and Wildlife Service. There is a fund under the Wildlife Restoration Program where grant money is available to the states for Hunter Education. Gun and archery ranges are consider a part of hunter education. Money piled into that fund during the last ammo / gun scare. This is where Oklahoma got the funding for the construction of the new ranges and the remodeling of existing ranges around the state at the WMAs. Hopefully, money is piling into that fund again with this current scare.
Called the Pittman-Robertson Federal aid in wildlife restoration act of 1937.
Signed by Franklin D Roosevelt. It's been a godsend for state wildlife agencies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom