This could get expensive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I started a new job right before Thanksgiving....back doing mechanical design, now at a fab shop. Been working on stuff for them and finally asked about personal projects and found out they charge employees wholesale for metal and basically nothing for cut/weld/bend time.

Have a few little ideas in the works, first project is some different paddles for the backyard ranges Texas Star. It has 3" paddles, and got a test piece 4" cut which fit great so tomorrow I'll "order" a full set of 4" and 5" ones. Orange below is the original 3", raw is 4". Can swap them out based on shooter/experience level.

20230111_173738.jpg

20230111_174047.jpg

I had some down time today so modeled up a target like the MGM spinner. I'll request a "quote" on it tomorrow but I suspect it should be a mere fraction of the cost of ordering one from MGM.

20230111_133243.jpg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Requested a quote for the bigger paddles today, shop manager asked what I was making and how big. I showed him, he said they can add it to "drop" which is the dead area between parts that customers are buying and need to get cut...so if I can wait til the next sheet of that runs they'll add them in and it's free. They're running some of that steel tonight so they should be done when I get to work on Monday.

Sounds like most of the parts of the spinner can be added the same way so heck yeah!

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, trying to make the spinner pretty modular. First batch of small parts are being added to the next 1/2" run to he cut from drop. IF my modular design works out, I may be able to make these available at a fraction of the cost of the MGM. Those wouldn't be from drop, but still significantly cheaper and would bolt together.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gonna try it this way, bolt together with replaceable paddles. Paddles will be readily available ones that are 1/2" AR500 (about $50 for the pair 8"/10") and the rest of the arm/pivot all bolts together and is overkill robust/made from 1/2" mild steel. IF it works well and I make a few, I'd probably see about offering them as a kit minus hardware and the stand legs to save shipping cost, as that stuff is readily available and easy to do.

received_841616140245636.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom