This country music gen-z rap crap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Modern mainstream country is an abomination! Not just the rap stuff… almost all of it. I swear every other song is literally just “hey girl” “my new truck” “those jeans girl” “get drunk” “whats yer name gurl” and so on…

Love lots of the “underground” country though! Cody jinks, Tyler Childers, stirgil Simpson, etc

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys are "funny". Reading all these posts about the only real country music is from the '50s-'70s and all the other "tractor rap" or "hick hop" is crap and trash and not real country western music. Y'all, yes I said that, sound like Country Karens. Now, Im not a big music listener but do like country as well as rock, some of the metal/big hair bands and some grunge. Really, a little big of everything.

By some of your firm belief that the only real country music is what we know from the 50s - 70s and don't bring in a lot of other influence from other genres then why do you all hold Johnny Cash in such high country royalty. In the end he was by no means "pure" country and, in fact, his music was heavily influenced by with Rockabilly, blues, rock & roll and many other types of music that is quite different than country western music.

For the record, not that anyone cares, but the country music I enjoy most is from guys like Alan Jackson, Brooks and Dunn, Blackhawk, George Strait, Clint Black, and some of the newish stuff.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can say that Savannah Dexter isn't...umm...talented.

That said music is subjective ( aside from Slayer being the greatest band of all time) and the music industry is perhaps one of the most corrupt evil organizations in the county. I'll chime in on this more if I have the time, but ultimately if you want good music you often have to make it yourself. To paraphrase Hank III they don't play no country on country radio. But there are still good acts out there I'll leave you with my friend Bob Wayne

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By some of your firm belief that the only real country music is what we know from the 50s - 70s and don't bring in a lot of other influence from other genres then why do you all hold Johnny Cash in such high country royalty. In the end he was by no means "pure" country and, in fact, his music was heavily influenced by with Rockabilly, blues, rock & roll and many other types of music that is quite different than country western music.
Johnny Cash was a piece of crap. If he was alive today he'd be campaigning for Beto and rapping with Lil Nas.

He did a hell of a nice thing for my cousin when he was in Tulsa many years ago, but that doesn't mean he didn't spend a lifetime as a loser. And his music ain't all that either.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can appreciate about any performer that at least writes some of their own songs. These artists/groups that a record company puts together and buys songs for them to record/perform is extremely disingenuous to the art. I also strongly despise any censoring of lyrics just to get it played on the radio. I see it the same as museums painting a black bar across the boobs in a Goya painting.

Country is certainly not my go to for every day listening, but I have seen Coe and Waylon in concert. I just prefer something with a little more pep and anger in it, haha.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far his generation, he is now 49 years old so I don’t consider him to be a millennial. He was born into privilege, but his father was as well. They both did there own kind of music, and I don’t think Hank III rode on his dad’s or granddad’s coat tails. Unlike so many of the country artists that are played on the radio, he actually writes his own songs. Like his granddad and dad, he was given a gift for writing and performing music. As far as the weed, I don’t think there are many musicians that don’t smoke it. Merle Haggard did an interview several years ago, and I remember him saying something like “Muskogee is probably the only place that I haven’t smoked weed”.

As far as Toby Keith, let’s just agree to disagree. George Strait will always be true country in my book, and Blake Shelton definitely sold out for the money.

The “F” word wasn’t needed to make his point, but I suppose that’s just who he is. Below is one of his own traditional songs, I think it’s about as country as country gets, and he reminds me of his granddad with this one.

I obviously didn't do my research...maybe that was an older video of him.
You guys are "funny". Reading all these posts about the only real country music is from the '50s-'70s and all the other "tractor rap" or "hick hop" is crap and trash and not real country western music. Y'all, yes I said that, sound like Country Karens. Now, Im not a big music listener but do like country as well as rock, some of the metal/big hair bands and some grunge. Really, a little big of everything.

For the record, not that anyone cares, but the country music I enjoy most is from guys like Alan Jackson, Brooks and Dunn, Blackhawk, George Strait, Clint Black, and some of the newish stuff.
Although I have respect for the 40's-70's country (remember the Grand ol Oprey and Hee Haw?), I for one still consider those 90's names you mentioned to be modern country music. I would listen to Mark Chesnut before I listened to Marty Robbins or something LOL.

I consider the older 50's music as "western" more than "country". When I think of "country" I think more of George Strait and the like. The late 70's stuff is in a class of its own, trapped in between "western" music and "country". The Highwaymen was like the climax of that genre that bled over into the 80's. I think one of the newest sounding old songs that appealed to youg people at the time and sounded new but still was true to the genre was "That ain't my truck" by Rhett Akins. That song could be released as new today and probably overtake all the hickhop crap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom