This is the true America.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of our general discussion threads and it would seem that we (OSA) have become more like the current version of America instead of the original.

We all state our support of the Constitution, at least the 2A part, but then we continue to call each other names when someone disagrees with us.

Having been home-bound for a bit following surgery, I have watched far more TV than a person should be forced to endure, but yesterday I saw a bit of the Ellen Degeneres show. It seems she was seen sitting next to George Bush in a suite at the Cowboy game Sunday. Many of her followers started a Twitter attack on her, "how could a gay, Hollywood liberal sit next to a conservative republican president"

Her response yesterday on her show hit me right between the eyes. She said, "Here's the thing, I'm friends with George Bush. In fact, I'm friends with a lot of people who don't share the same beliefs that I have. We're all different and I think that we've forgotten that that's okay. When I say "Be kind to one another" ( I guess that is something she closes her show with) I don't mean only the people that think the same way that you do. I mean be kind to everyone. Doesn't matter"

Take a look at some of our responses. We have said very unkind things to each other on topics like vaping, tattoos, medical marijuana, bump stocks, 2A auditors, and on and on.

I am chief among the guilty.

Many of us have raised our right hand and swore to support and defend the Constitution. That document was meant to apply to everyone, not just those I like.

I'm going to really work on that thought. I have many friends that think differently than I do, and I love those friends, so I am far more than a hypocrite when I criticize some I don't know as well who shares a thought different than mine.

"Be kind to one another"

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think anyone here can call me something I haven't already been called. When someone on this board commences to "hurl invectives" (gotta love the phrase) I just consider the source.

Most of what goes on here I consider banter, rather than serious slurs.Perhaps I've got thicker skin than some.

I do know that an internet forum, any internet forum, is generally no place for someone easily intimidated, or easily offended.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the thing. The internet is both a blessing and a curse. Depending on your typing speed and accuracy you can find anything on any subject with in a few seconds. I used the internet to research, but the parts and tools and find instructions on how to build my AR. Its by far my favorite firearm now. But the internet fosters and breeds the mob mentality, especially when people do not take the time to research topics before they turn into a youtube expert. Add in the animosity of being just an avatar and you get what society is turning into. Now that behavior is spilling into real life and people stop listening to understand but instead listen to argue.

And though I disagree with a lot of what Ellen has to say on several subjects, I understand her point of view. My FB friends list is a variable mash up of political and social beliefs. Most of them I'm friends with in real life. Thats why I try (key word here) to be civil even when in a heated discussion. I know that many of the arguments I've been in within the cyberspace realm would not have taken place had I and the other person been face to face.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of our general discussion threads and it would seem that we (OSA) have become more like the current version of America instead of the original.

We all state our support of the Constitution, at least the 2A part, but then we continue to call each other names when someone disagrees with us.

Having been home-bound for a bit following surgery, I have watched far more TV than a person should be forced to endure, but yesterday I saw a bit of the Ellen Degeneres show. It seems she was seen sitting next to George Bush in a suite at the Cowboy game Sunday. Many of her followers started a Twitter attack on her, "how could a gay, Hollywood liberal sit next to a conservative republican president"

Her response yesterday on her show hit me right between the eyes. She said, "Here's the thing, I'm friends with George Bush. In fact, I'm friends with a lot of people who don't share the same beliefs that I have. We're all different and I think that we've forgotten that that's okay. When I say "Be kind to one another" ( I guess that is something she closes her show with) I don't mean only the people that think the same way that you do. I mean be kind to everyone. Doesn't matter"

Take a look at some of our responses. We have said very unkind things to each other on topics like vaping, tattoos, medical marijuana, bump stocks, 2A auditors, and on and on.

I am chief among the guilty.

Many of us have raised our right hand and swore to support and defend the Constitution. That document was meant to apply to everyone, not just those I like.

I'm going to really work on that thought. I have many friends that think differently than I do, and I love those friends, so I am far more than a hypocrite when I criticize some I don't know as well who shares a thought different than mine.

"Be kind to one another"

I really like Ellen . . . totally disagree with her on many, many issues, but this one . . . she hit it right on the head.

I watched the episode where President Bush was on her show and discussed some of his art work. You could tell they were friends or would quickly become good friends.

Any of her "fans" or other folks who trashed her for this can take a long walk off of a short pier . . .

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People nurse excuses disguised as righteous grievances and project them onto public figures instead of trying to make their real, immediate world a better place.

They behave horribly toward other when sitting at a keyboard and are anonymous.

These are major problems in our society.

Unplug and do something in the real world with real people....every day!

Latest posts

Top Bottom