This June was Missing Something

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many call them May Beetles.
An old insect book I had referred to them as May Beetles .

The Horned Lizard or Horny Toad is still around in some areas ..It's main diet was the Harvester Ant. It eats many other insects like spiders and "grasshoppers" .
Most people have sprayed to get rid of ants and other "unwanted pests" and or built homes where those Lizards were once prolific.

Take away a habitat and food source and you remove the animal that was relying on those things.
Too bad really those things are awesome critters.

We had small June Bugs in the garage the other day and Fire Flies were out also.
I was drunk or a little bit tipsy many years ago and ate a June bug..It tasted like butter. I ate another one and sure enough it was like butter.

Fast forward to the other day.
I ate a small June bug and it tasted like fish guts.
Dang it I thought to myself those small ones may be the reason they do not tase like the other ones I ate.
The other ones were big ones really fat and juicy.

Now I must find a fresh flying Fatty and check the flavor on it.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many call them May Beetles.
An old insect book I had referred to them as May Beetles .

The Horned Lizard or Horny Toad is still around in some areas ..It's main diet was the Harvester Ant. It eats many other insects like spiders and "grasshoppers" .
Most people have sprayed to get rid of ants and other "unwanted pests" and or built homes where those Lizards were once prolific.

Take away a habitat and food source and you remove the animal that was relying on those things.
Too bad really those things are awesome critters.

We had small June Bugs in the garage the other day and Fire Flies were out also.
I was drunk or a little bit tipsy many years ago and ate a June bug..It tasted like butter. I ate another one and sure enough it was like butter.

Fast forward to the other day.
I ate a small June bug and it tasted like fish guts.
Dang it I thought to myself those small ones may be the reason they do not tase like the other ones I ate.
The other ones were big ones really fat and juicy.

Now I must find a fresh flying Fatty and check the flavor on it.

"Ummmm, June Bugs! Buttered June Bugs!" :homer:

(sometimes I worry about some of you guys here...)

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fireflies! Man, I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a firefly. As kids, we'd catch them and put them in a jar with a lid and they'd be all lit up, buzzing around in there.
We used to smush em and rub them on our faces and run around at night scaring each other.

I remember dad and I driving home from town in his 59 Apache late at night. The June bugs were so thick we had to use windshield wipers just to see the road. When we got home he came out with a metal 5 gallon bucket with diesel and gasoline. He'd set it on fire in the driveway. The June bugs would fly into the flames and singe off their wings and legs. There was a carpet of beetles about 3 inches thick around that bucket. The chickens had a breakfast feast in the morning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom