This watch repair gig can get expensive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on my next watch for the YouTube channel. I want to keep it a secret as to what the watch is, mainly because it'll be a bit of a surprise for most people and I've never seen one disassembled anywhere before. It's from a well known and highly respected brand, with a very good quality high beat (36k) movement. Long story short, I get the full watch taken down tonight, and the very last thing is disassembling the mainspring barrel and removing the spring and arbor. I got it taken apart only to find some serious wear marks in the barrel, and the spring out of flat (beyond repair). Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but I can only find 1 single seller online that has the correct replacement part. $150 for a replacement barrel and spring. OUCH!!! I'm committed at this point, as without it the watch is a paperweight, but this thing better be awesome when it's done.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it gets pricey…… I had been working with old pocket watches, South Bend to be specific. The price of tools alone can stop you cold, but now the major brand manufacturers will not release parts outside of their authorized service center networks. When you can find them, they are astronomically priced. Another kick to the groin for the little guy.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yikes. Depending on the watch, juice may be worth the squeeze. Can't wait man.
I think it will be. In the meantime I put a poll up on the community page of my YouTube channel to see what they'd like to see done in the meantime. I put a few options up there and we'll see what they end up going with.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it will be. In the meantime I put a poll up on the community page of my YouTube channel to see what they'd like to see done in the meantime. I put a few options up there and we'll see what they end up going with.
I think an overhaul of a Tag would be awesome for the channel 😉

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would Love to see a Omega Seamaster Pro!!
Seeing that I have one with Rough winding stem.
Wanna Volunteer??
I'm intrigued. What type of Seamaster? 60's, 80's, modern? If it is more modern, with a co-axial escapement movement, I'll probably have to pass. I don't have the proper testing equipment for those, but if it's an older Seamaster I might be able to help (assuming any needed parts are available).

Last edited:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm intrigued. What type of Seamaster? 60's, 80's, modern? If it is more modern, with a co-axial escapement movement, I'll probably have to pass. I don't have the proper testing equipment for those, but if it's an older Seamaster I might be able to help (assuming any needed parts are available).
Vintage Seamaster videos are my favorite.

Latest posts

Top Bottom