This watch repair gig can get expensive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ians 17/22

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on my next watch for the YouTube channel. I want to keep it a secret as to what the watch is, mainly because it'll be a bit of a surprise for most people and I've never seen one disassembled anywhere before. It's from a well known and highly respected brand, with a very good quality high beat (36k) movement. Long story short, I get the full watch taken down tonight, and the very last thing is disassembling the mainspring barrel and removing the spring and arbor. I got it taken apart only to find some serious wear marks in the barrel, and the spring out of flat (beyond repair). Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but I can only find 1 single seller online that has the correct replacement part. $150 for a replacement barrel and spring. OUCH!!! I'm committed at this point, as without it the watch is a paperweight, but this thing better be awesome when it's done.

Hello 2 all , i'm Steve....i have a few watches ,currently not doing me much good...the Hamilton's stem winds but unable to set time & keeps very good time , i do wear it at times....also have 2 18th century re-pros , 1 works fine other doesn't.... C pics....
The pocket watches were those of my late friend whose business was dealing in anything Revolutionary....prior to , he asked me to repair 10 of these watches (WOW , out of my league)....the repairs on 9 only involved the sq. head wind up screw....thought i might be able to repair / make new screws (.037 x 100tpi)....finally got around to it....& to my amazement they worked.....when i called , was told he passed , R.I.P. , G.G.G. , The Sutler Of Mt. Misery
If i may , i would like to get in line so as to have the Hamilton repaired , or trade all for 1 that i would be proud of......

Attachments

• Hamilton 1.jpg
    Hamilton 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Hamilton 2.jpg
    Hamilton 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221213_151115.jpg
    IMG_20221213_151115.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221213_152220.jpg
    IMG_20221213_152220.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 0

LDA.45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm intrigued. What type of Seamaster? 60's, 80's, modern? If it is more modern, with a co-axial escapement movement, I'll probably have to pass. I don't have the proper testing equipment for those, but if it's an older Seamaster I might be able to help (assuming any needed parts are available).
I Bought it in Madrid in 2007. I have the Box and all the cards and Books that came with it.
Ref: 22525000
Calibre No: 1120

I think the bushing in the winding stem is worn. But it keeps excellent time.

Watcha Think??

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of those famous Japanese brands that I purchased new at a good price in the 90's- needed a new battery and so I went to the local jewelry/key/lock folks in town. The guys were out on a lock call so I just left it with the clerk. Called to check on it a few days later- still not ready- after about 10 days they call- it's ready- get there and it's $50.- I thought what the heck- for a battery. The reason given was they had to consult with a factory trained person to figure out how to set the date and month. I needs a new battery now and I am going to youtube and replace the battery only, cause I usually don't care what day it is now days.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of those famous Japanese brands that I purchased new at a good price in the 90's- needed a new battery and so I went to the local jewelry/key/lock folks in town. The guys were out on a lock call so I just left it with the clerk. Called to check on it a few days later- still not ready- after about 10 days they call- it's ready- get there and it's $50.- I thought what the heck- for a battery. The reason given was they had to consult with a factory trained person to figure out how to set the date and month. I needs a new battery now and I am going to youtube and replace the battery only, cause I usually don't care what day it is now days.
I've never heard of anyone charging extra for that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom