This weekend has been wild!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had a problem with my truck in 5 years. But driving TUL--> Portland everything went off the rails. Wound up breaking down 60 miles east of Albuquerque. I knew I should have taken that left.

So it's pitch black and hovering around freezing. USAA says they can get someone there but I'm supposed to fend for myself on getting a ride because the drivers can't have passengers with the Rona. Fortunately the driver was cool. And got tipped well.

Turns out the fan clutch was falling off my water pump. So I've been hanging out in the ABQ waiting on a stealership to open and either fix it or tell me how much time they need so I can figure out a rental car or flight to actually get to my dang job.

Tell you one thing I'm happy about. I recently upgraded the truck with some locking floor and console safes from Tuffy Products. Because if I have to take a bird, then I am not setup to check 2A stuff in, and could securely lock them up in the truck.

So we'll see how it goes tomorrow. I should be able to limp the truck over to the dealership for my 0715 appointment, or have it towed. At the start of this, it's been sort of drivable in very short runs (before it overheats with no coolant flowing) but since the radiator fan fell the heck off then that takes my alternator out so who knows if it'll make it the two miles.

I heard the clutch on my fan in a big way when starting last week. I don't think the fluid in them likes sub 0 temps. Good luck.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a pickup job in once (Chevy 454) with a horrendous vibration. One guy had convinced the owner it needed an overhaul, so he let that guy do the job. It still had the vibration.

First thing I did was pull the belts off to make sure it was actually in the engine. It ran smooth as silk.

Spun the fan, and it was waaay off center. Pulled the fan & clutch, and the bearing was so bad that the little ball bearings had all congregated to one side.

Customer wasn't too happy with the other guy. :D
:drunk2:

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a pickup job in once (Chevy 454) with a horrendous vibration. One guy had convinced the owner it needed an overhaul, so he let that guy do the job. It still had the vibration.

First thing I did was pull the belts off to make sure it was actually in the engine. It ran smooth as silk.

Spun the fan, and it was waaay off center. Pulled the fan & clutch, and the bearing was so bad that the little ball bearings had all congregated to one side.

Customer wasn't too happy with the other guy. :D
:drunk2:
That’s the difference between a mechanic and a parts changer. There’s fewer mechanics out there.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So... update time. The truck is in the shop. Base price for the repair was around 500ish, which is what I expected. I did have to have some other stuff done too, so it's going to be a costly day anyways, but I'd have had to do those at some point anyways.

The real kicker --- it's a good thing to be prepared. I chose my hotel when I got towed based on the location to the dealership, walmart and an Autozone. Yesterday morning I showed up at the Autozone at 8am to buy the waterpump assembly they had in stock. Good thinking --- the dealer was on backorder. But because I was able to provide the parts I could still get the work done today.

With any luck they'll be done early and I'll be on my way to Utah this evening.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hope it all works out.
I used to drive 70,000 miles a year as did the wife in another vehicle or 2.
I had enough clutch fan failures I went to Ford Flex fans.
If I had to re drill the bolt pattern so be it, they all got those fans, no more issues.
Zero faith in Clutch fans.

Today you do not have much choice with those odd water pumps on newer vehicles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom