This weekend has been wild!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So... how did things work out?

Enquiring minds want to know... :D
:drunk2:
I really do appreciate that!

Like @mouthpiece was saying, I got on the road! Dealer did me pretty solid --- little more expensive than if I could have shopped local mechanics but nothing too crazy. I ran the bill up a little bit by adding two small routine maintenance things on there, and then they also took care of two recall fixes. More importantly, I think they heard that I needed to get the heck out of town and did a hustle for me. I was expecting to get the truck right at closing time, but got it at like 2:30. Took it out for a spin to some Walmart's to put a few miles on it for testing and to grab ICE supplies and then I was off. Because I got it early I managed from Albuquerque to Provo, took a nap then got to Portland today. No weird sounds, no overheating --- basically just as uneventful as possible.

Now, my heart on the other hand --- it's likely been abused from more caffeine than I probably should have had, but I had to slam 21 hours of driving into 1.5 days. The other small sad part, is that I really wanted to hit 191 though Utah during the daylight. That area is super gorgeous.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really do appreciate that!

Like @mouthpiece was saying, I got on the road! Dealer did me pretty solid --- little more expensive than if I could have shopped local mechanics but nothing too crazy. I ran the bill up a little bit by adding two small routine maintenance things on there, and then they also took care of two recall fixes. More importantly, I think they heard that I needed to get the heck out of town and did a hustle for me. I was expecting to get the truck right at closing time, but got it at like 2:30. Took it out for a spin to some Walmart's to put a few miles on it for testing and to grab ICE supplies and then I was off. Because I got it early I managed from Albuquerque to Provo, took a nap then got to Portland today. No weird sounds, no overheating --- basically just as uneventful as possible.

Now, my heart on the other hand --- it's likely been abused from more caffeine than I probably should have had, but I had to slam 21 hours of driving into 1.5 days. The other small sad part, is that I really wanted to hit 191 though Utah during the daylight. That area is super gorgeous.

Believe it or not, we've been on that same highway back in November. Went to Utah across Colorado on US 160 and then up 191 to Moab. At one point, we had to go to Provo to get medicine for our youngest son (48 years old) that was vacationing with us, so we also got to see that portion as well.

And you are right...it is super gorgeous, especially that up closer to Provo. I just can't remember the name of that one mountain pass. I need to go do some research.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Believe it or not, we've been on that same highway back in November. Went to Utah across Colorado on US 160 and then up 191 to Moab. At one point, we had to go to Provo to get medicine for our youngest son (48 years old) that was vacationing with us, so we also got to see that portion as well.

And you are right...it is super gorgeous, especially that up closer to Provo. I just can't remember the name of that one mountain pass. I need to go do some research.
I figured with your photography you might appreciate that. I had even brought my good camera expecting daytime shots along the way.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figured with your photography you might appreciate that. I had even brought my good camera expecting daytime shots along the way.

If you only traveled 191, you missed the San Rafael Swell area along I-70 to the west of Green River. When we left Kanab, UT to come back to Oklahoma, our plans took us through Colorado Springs and Lakin, Kansas to visit the wife's sisters, so we drove across I-70 from Salina, UT to Green River on our first day out of Kanab. After parking the RV at the KOA in Green River, we took our Ford Expedition back along I-70 to take photos along about 60 miles of that highway.

I-70 going into the Swell.

This last photo was taken from the west side of the I-70 entrance through the San Rafael Swell. It certainly looks different from the eastern side where I-70 enters.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amazing what our ancestors faced in wagons and on foot for months to years at a time. I hope they could appreciate the beauty without being burdened with being a deadly, desolate place.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amazing what our ancestors faced in wagons and on foot for months to years at a time. I hope they could appreciate the beauty without being burdened with being a deadly, desolate place.
I think one of the reasons I really love driving through the West is the sheer deadly enormity of it. No matter how many times I run through there, I am always in awe of the landscapes (except Kansas ---- that place can die and fall off the earth) but always faced with a real hard belief that it'd pretty well kill us all quickly with no remorse. Because that's what nature does. One game I play with myself is called the "how long between sources of water" game where I literally just try to spot any source of potential viable water on the landscape and then count miles to the next one. It gets scary quick when you play that game. I always travel with provisions because of that.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Rez Exelon

I went to Google Maps to see what that mountain pass was that we passed over on our way to Provo to get medicine. That is when I discovered that Highway 191 branches off from Highway 6 and goes to the northeast. We didn't take that route, but instead, went on into Provo on Highway 6. That said, the next time we get back out to Utah, I'll have to see about going off into the mountains where 191 goes.

Did you happen to take I-84 through southern Idaho? If so, you may have crossed a bridge of the interstate that is directly above a waterfall at Malad Gorge State Park.

The lower bridge is a foot bridge that is part of the state park. The interstate bridges are just beyond the foot bridge and appear to be higher up.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks familiar --- I've rolled I84 from Echo to Portland a few times. I've got some great pictures that I need to get off my phone. Worked late today and am just now starting dinner at 2145 local time though.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be an ordeal these days... but traveling by wagon, horseback, or foot wasn't considered a problem back then, because it was the norm for everyone. I'm sure they could appreciate the beauty as well as we do.

Our ancestors were hardy folks. They had to be, not only to survive, but to actually thrive in those conditions.
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom