Thompson Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a used one last week from an OSA member and mounted a Leupold 3x9x40 VII to shoot 50 rounds of Hornady American Gunner 140 gr HPBT ammo to get some brass. The factory ammo shot good but near 8 lb. trigger on the gun always seem to produce a stray shot and open groups to 1.00-1.25in for 5 shots. Well it was either me or the trigger LOL. Bought a target spring for a Win M70 online and installed it and came out with a 3.75 lb. trigger with no other mods to trigger. It passed the drop test with drops as high as possible without damage to the rifle. Loaded up some Sierra 140 SBT with 40.8gr/41.1gr/41.4gr of H4350 seated @ 2.762 OAL CCI 200 primer and got some good results.
20180325_134816.jpg

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought a used one last week from an OSA member and mounted a Leupold 3x9x40 VII to shoot 50 rounds of Hornady American Gunner 140 gr HPBT ammo to get some brass. The factory ammo shot good but near 8 lb. trigger on the gun always seem to produce a stray shot and open groups to 1.00-1.25in for 5 shots. Well it was either me or the trigger LOL. Bought a target spring for a Win M70 online and installed it and came out with a 3.75 lb. trigger with no other mods to trigger. It passed the drop test with drops as high as possible without damage to the rifle. Loaded up some Sierra 140 SBT with 40.8gr/41.1gr/41.4gr of H4350 seated @ 2.762 OAL CCI 200 primer and got some good results. View attachment 116104

Nice, have that same rifle but haven't shot it yet. Tell me more about this trigger mod???

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Long story short is the trigger is suppose to adjust to 3.5-5.5 lbs. then some issues and a recall, and then none were able to adjust under 5.5 lbs. from a certain date on. Mine was very heavy so I adjusted it down to lowest setting by the instruction book. Trigger still about 8 lbs at lowest setting. Ordered one each of the hunter and target spring from www.erniethegunsmith.com for the Win model 70 (6.95 ea)and installed the target spring in the T/C Compass. There is a lot of people on the net upset about the Thompson Compass trigger issue.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Long story short is the trigger is suppose to adjust to 3.5-5.5 lbs. then some issues and a recall, and then none were able to adjust under 5.5 lbs. from a certain date on. Mine was very heavy so I adjusted it down to lowest setting by the instruction book. Trigger still about 8 lbs at lowest setting. Ordered one each of the hunter and target spring from www.erniethegunsmith.com for the Win model 70 (6.95 ea)and installed the target spring in the T/C Compass. There is a lot of people on the net upset about the Thompson Compass trigger issue.

TY for the info. I opened mine up as the trigger was def heavy, but it looked to be as low as it would go.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would not stop at 100 yards with those groups.
Take the same loads to 200 yards and then see which one really holds together.
Those triggers I am not familiar with is it set up in such a way that you loosen a screw to relieve pressure from a spring basically making the spring longer.
If yes.

The deal with doing that is you run out of enough spring length to keep the moving parts engaged . that is if you can twist a screw that far.
Some people cut a spring shorter.. this in many circumstances is a bad deal as you are back at not enough spring length again.

The best way to go it to reduce the spring diameter and that way wyou keep the free length of the spring to keep parts engaged so your drop test you will never have a situation that fires the round.

You guys know this probably.
I have used different grit sandpaper and different grit honing stones to reduce spring diameter of stock springs.

Yes it takes some time to reduce the coil diameter and buying a spring is easier.. just saying if a spring is not available or
you are in a pinch there are ways around the purchasing part.

Magna19 it looks like you found some very promising loads..keep us posted.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not stop at 100 yards with those groups.
Take the same loads to 200 yards and then see which one really holds together.
Those triggers I am not familiar with is it set up in such a way that you loosen a screw to relieve pressure from a spring basically making the spring longer.
If yes.

The deal with doing that is you run out of enough spring length to keep the moving parts engaged . that is if you can twist a screw that far.
Some people cut a spring shorter.. this in many circumstances is a bad deal as you are back at not enough spring length again.

The best way to go it to reduce the spring diameter and that way wyou keep the free length of the spring to keep parts engaged so your drop test you will never have a situation that fires the round.

You guys know this probably.
I have used different grit sandpaper and different grit honing stones to reduce spring diameter of stock springs.

Yes it takes some time to reduce the coil diameter and buying a spring is easier.. just saying if a spring is not available or
you are in a pinch there are ways around the purchasing part.

Magna19 it looks like you found some very promising loads..keep us posted.
Thinning the diameter of a trigger spring is NOT happening regardless of the pinch im in. I was just mentioning a spring with the correct length and reduced weight for the problem with the trigger on a Thompson Compass rifle. Springs in triggers are not made to thin the diameter of the coils which may disrupt the integrity or strength/temper/some coated to prevent rust and so on. Swampers for your safety and others around you let me know if you ever have to thin a trigger spring coil diameter and ill buy you the correct one. Geeezzzzz

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Arminius 357 magnum HW 357 firing pin spring and firing pin.
Even when my son went to Germany to the factory which was basically a one man show in an old building they would not sell him a spring or firing pin.
Things like this is what i come up against.
I agree you can buy stuff easier sometimes.
I used a spring and firing pin from a Ruger. I had to turn down the firing pin and "retwist" and shorten the spring.
3 coils only..Crazy Old German stuff

I just finished making my own fiberglass front bumper for my 57 chevy.. the old bent and twisted bumper was the mold.
I thought it was a good idea but in the end it took many days to massage the glass piece to make it 1/2 way close.
But it is on and only weighs 5 lbs compared to the 50 lb stock one which was ruined in a wreck anyway.

It is in my nature to tweak and make my own things.
I agree you guys be on the safer side and do not do what I do.

Although twisting the screw on my savage accutrigger rifle to get it to 2.75 lbs resulted in the sear disengaging if you closed the bolt too fast.. you had to go really slow or up the pressure to 3.5 lbs.
With the modded spring I could go 1.25 lbs and never an issue.
But I later found out savage had 2 different accutriggers and I bet the spring in the red one would have worked.

I also modded a Mossberg to have an adjustable trigger No spring diameter changing just a set screw behind a spring.
It was not a couple days later Mossberg came out with the LBA trigger with a set screw in the same place I put mine.
I have a disease that makes me tweak things that need it.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Culled 6 pieces of brass from the lot of factory ammo, 3 that weighed lowest and 3 highest. Had 2 of those with bullets seated to check stuff and pulled the bullets with a kinetic bullet puller. Loaded those 6 with 41.4 grs H4350 and Sierra 140 SBT to 2.780 OAL. Velocity went 2620, 2607, 2629, 2624, 2630, 2623 for a 2622 fps avg. First 2 was the brass that had bullets seated in them and pulled and they are the two high left in the group. It wont be long and this gun will be shooting consistently under .5 groups
20180326_171630.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom