Thoughts on cleaning hammerless revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For about the last 9 months, my main carry gun is a S&W 640-1. I work outside the majority of the day in a fairly dusty environment. Every couple of days I wipe down the gun because it accumulates a layer of dust. Ok, here’s my question. Should I be worried that the dust is getting into the concealed hammer and other mechanical components? I’ve searched the internet, but I can’t find anything that relates to my question. Am I overthinking cleaning? I know how to take the cover plate off to access the internal components, but I don’t want to do it on a regular basis for fear of eventually damaging the plate and creating an issue where it won’t seal properly. I obviously want the gun to be reliable if I ever need it in an emergency situation which is one of the reasons that I started carrying a revolver. Any recommendations on how often I should inspect and clean the internal components would be greatly appreciated.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I would say rarely, if ever. As in measured in years. FWIW, a hammerless is no more susceptible to internal dust than any other revolver.

You could flush it occasionally with a spray cleaner or oil, but I think it's more likely that will gum it up and cause problems before dust in it will cause problems.

But I'm interested to see what the real gunsmiths say... there are a few around here.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aries’s response is what I was hoping to hear. The reason for asking is because I have this paranoid thought in my head that I can’t get rid of. The fear is that I open the gun up and it is covered in dirt. I’m pretty sure that I’m just being paranoid. Hopefully a gunsmith will comment saying the same thing.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say rarely as well. The only real entry points are the trigger window, pawl window and latch window. the pawl & latch windows are pretty small and usually covered when holstered. If you look behind the trigger with a light, you can see how much debris is accumulated there. If it looks nasty you can always pop the sideplate and inspect the action.

Just make sure you use the correctly sized screwdriver bits and avoid prying the sideplate open. The most common mistakes are poor fitting bits, prying the sideplate, mixing up which screw goes where and using excessive torque to reinstall the screws. Done properly, you're in no danger of damaging or wearing anything out. Here's a very quick vid on proper removal of the sideplate for those who've never seen it.

For a carry revolver I usually do an annual "full service" so I can reapply fresh oil & grease where necessary. In severe environments I'd do it more often, but that depends on the conditions and type of finish the revolver has.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just cleaned a S&W Chief's Special that probably hasn't been cleaned since the 60s. It was very gummed up inside. It belonged to my wife's father and it had been sitting in a storage container for years. It was gummed up to the point of being locked up and I couldn't get the side-plate off.

I dropped it into the ultrasonic cleaner with a little extra cleaning solution...ran it thru two cycles. Used some shop air to blow out the insides. Sprayed some Barricade inside and put it back together. Good as new and I never did take the side-plate off.

If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner somewhere that might help you out. They've worked wonders for me on various guns and gun parts.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say it wouldn't hurt to clean internally also.
Two reasons:
1) gets you familiar with the internal working of the revolver.
2) maintenance is key with any firearm and having a clean weapon means reliability when needed.
Just my two cents..

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would recommend at least doing it once. That will give you a blank slate to start with and you will know what it feels like when clean. You will also feel if its getting gritty or gummed up. Keep in mind lube collects crap so keep it a light coat. You aren't going to wear anything out taking the side plate off. Invest in a good screw driver set and make sure your bit fits the screw as perfectly as you can. If you are super paranoid section off the area around the screw with some tape. After you do it a time or two you will know exactly how often you need to clean it for your peace of mind.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of protection does your holster provide? Can you feel any grit when you dry fire it? Where is the dust on the revolver when you unholster? Where is the most dust when you clean it? Is the dust on the outside of the side plate, the cylinder, the trigger, or just the grips? Is the dust and dirt you are in a fine particle like flour or coarse like sand? I would most definitely do an exploratory internal check and cleaning just to familiarize yourself with the function and to set your mind at rest. Then you will know and set your cleaning interval accordingly.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if it's been said, but if you decide to remove the sideplate don't pry on it at all....even a little bit. Remove the screws and give the handle a couple raps with your screwdriver handle and shock the sideplate free.

Edit: I went back and read the thread...It had already been said. Move along, nothing to see here...

Latest posts

Top Bottom