Thoughts on cleaning hammerless revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IME, when I’ve been doing some dusty and dirty field work and carry my 581. I typically keep a can of computer duster when I’m on the road and depending on how bad the environment is. I will typically use that computer duster about once every two weeks. As previously stated adding more lubricant can actually gum it up. A good spray off of internals, then side plate back on, maybe a small drop of clp if warranted. FWIW, I typically carry open in the field with a good leather holster that covers everything up to the grip and hammer.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of protection does your holster provide? Can you feel any grit when you dry fire it? Where is the dust on the revolver when you unholster? Where is the most dust when you clean it? Is the dust on the outside of the side plate, the cylinder, the trigger, or just the grips? Is the dust and dirt you are in a fine particle like flour or coarse like sand? I would most definitely do an exploratory internal check and cleaning just to familiarize yourself with the function and to set your mind at rest. Then you will know and set your cleaning interval accordingly.
A lot of questions to answer. I use a leather holster that covers everything up to the grips. I’m outside in good old Oklahoma red dirt which I’d say ranges from fine to course. The dust pretty much covers the entire gun. Thanks for the input

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the input. I’m going to do an initial internal inspection and blow it off with canned air. My plan is to do that again in a month just to see how much built up in that timeframe. I’ll then hopefully have a pretty good idea on how often I should be cleaning it going forward.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of questions to answer. I use a leather holster that covers everything up to the grips. I’m outside in good old Oklahoma red dirt which I’d say ranges from fine to course. The dust pretty much covers the entire gun. Thanks for the input
So, didja get your wheat in?

Last edited:

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My .02c worth:
At a minimum, I would pull the sideplate and look inside. Use Gunscrubber and then compresssed air to clean it out. Let it dry and oil the critical components, put the sideplate back on and carry on. If it's gunked and gooed up, that's another problem.
You are more than welcome to come over and use my tools and I can walk you through the process. Cost= 1 cup of coffee.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, didja get your wheat in?
Not much wheat but I have some. It’s been in the ground for a couple months now. Just waiting on rain. On a side note, my neighbor has a large herd of elk grazing on his wheat around sundown. I’ll try to get some pics and post them somewhere on OSA. ***He won’t allow anybody to hunt so whoever reads this please don’t ask.***

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My .02c worth:
At a minimum, I would pull the sideplate and look inside. Use Gunscrubber and then compresssed air to clean it out. Let it dry and oil the critical components, put the sideplate back on and carry on. If it's gunked and gooed up, that's another problem.
You are more than welcome to come over and use my tools and I can walk you through the process. Cost= 1 cup of coffee.
That’s my plan. Thanks for the offer, but I’m in SW Oklahoma. If you’re ever down my way, I’d be more than happy to buy you a cup of coffee.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For about the last 9 months, my main carry gun is a S&W 640-1. I work outside the majority of the day in a fairly dusty environment. Every couple of days I wipe down the gun because it accumulates a layer of dust. Ok, here’s my question. Should I be worried that the dust is getting into the concealed hammer and other mechanical components? I’ve searched the internet, but I can’t find anything that relates to my question. Am I overthinking cleaning? I know how to take the cover plate off to access the internal components, but I don’t want to do it on a regular basis for fear of eventually damaging the plate and creating an issue where it won’t seal properly. I obviously want the gun to be reliable if I ever need it in an emergency situation which is one of the reasons that I started carrying a revolver. Any recommendations on how often I should inspect and clean the internal components would be greatly appreciated.
Get you a can of air, and spray it in all the nooks and crannies.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I’ve probably pulled my sp101 and my SW610 apart a dozen or so times collectively. Aside from when I got careless with the grip screw on the sp101 there isnt a mark on them or any issues from taking them a part. The key is using good tools and being patient. I suggest looking into Wera Screwdrivers. In my opinion, they’re the best in the world, whether you’re doing some gunsmithing, working on cars/heavy equipment, or doing electrical work.

Wera - 5059297001 Kraftform Kompakt 62 Bitholding Screwdriver and Pouch Set, 33-Pieces Amazon.com

Wera 05007680001 Kraftform Plus 334 SK/6 Screwdriver Set and Rack, Lasertip, 6-Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZEAP9C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2XAF6PC8H1XTQBEPC775

Latest posts

Top Bottom