Thoughts on the Mossberg 590 A1?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LS_elitist

Marksman
Reaction score
I have had several of the 20" mossy pumpers including a 590. They are indeed wicked looking, but I finally decided that I had no real-world use for them and I got a 16.5" 590 instead. It isn't the mil-spec but I like how short and balanced it is verses the larger version and it still holds 7 shells total. I added a sling and a heat shield (not all 590's come with them now a days) and I'm happier with it verses the larger guns.

Having said that, a 590 (especially mil-spec) is a good looking gun. Just too long for home defense verses other options and not what I'd have in my hands for SHTF so I changed my mind. FYI only the mil-spec has the metal trigger guard, metal safety, and thicker barrel. But the civilian 590's still have the removable tube cap which I like better than the 500, and it allows them to hold an extra shell.
Yeah, the only thing I really have to complain about is how damn heavy the thing is. And for some reason, it occasionally locked up when I was shooting lighter target loads. But it cycles steel and 00 buck just fine, luckily.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember the "metal" safety on my 590A1 broke off since if was cheap cast metal and I replaced it with a plastic one. A friend had the 590 and I didn't see the point in the 590A1's heavier parts.

For the average person the heavier made parts are not necessary. I’m not sure if it it was military wide or just the Navy but the heavier barrels were made to help resist deformation from banging into hard surfaces like on a ship. I remember when we got our first Mossbergs on my old ship. Retired our old Remingtons. Been a fan of the Mossbergs pumps since the mid 90s.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the average person the heavier made parts are not necessary. I’m not sure if it it was military wide or just the Navy but the heavier barrels were made to help resist deformation from banging into hard surfaces like on a ship. I remember when we got our first Mossbergs on my old ship. Retired our old Remingtons. Been a fan of the Mossbergs pumps since the mid 90s.
Give something to a grunt, he'll find a way to break it.

Yeah, for home defense, a regular ole 500 will do just fine. Still my 590a1 doesnt feel but maybe a schmidge heavier than a 500 with a 20in barrel. I cant really tell the difference

Latest posts

Top Bottom