Thousands of tons of radioactive material found in BA.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drove by the site yesterday, on my way to and from the rifle range. Saw new eight foot tall/barbed wire topped chain link fence, just across the street/East of Tractor Supply store on Kenosha/71street south. Saw steel box looking construction site container, many p/u trucks (workers) and one big white SUV (boss). So, I suppose now that the radioactive gas cat is out of the bag, no one will buy lots/acres of that land to build homes, businesses to stand around in, breathing radon gas. Did the value of all that land just fall to below zero $. -0.00?

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This seems like the solution the the EPA will come up with. They will even be able to sell billboard space. A win win.

Chernobyl.jpg

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.epa.gov/radon/why-must-radon-be-vented-air-above-my-homes-roof
If I understand the topography of the area correctly, there is a drainage ditch that runs through the area that then flows down through a residential area. With Radon gas being 7.5 times heavier than air, this would have rolled down the slope of the land and through the neighborhood as well. Maybe the wind dispersed it most of the time, but it can get quite calm at night. I hope there has been no exposure of consequence to the residents there, but their property values have just taken a hit.
It being so much heavier than air, it will likely all drain down to and settle on the world's oceans. Kinda makes those "luxury cruises" a death trap. If you don't drown when the ship sinks, the ocean air you breathe will get you in the end, eh? :coffee2:

Count me out of buying ocean front property ...:mosh:

Woody

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are strip mines all through that area. Kenosha is 71st south. We use to ride dirt bikes through the stripped mines terrain between 51st and 61st st south, directly north of TSC.
So much for home prices out there now.
Mining or industry tends to take out all the good parts they want and need and discarding the parts you don't want or need and have to be disposed of somewhere. I sold equipment that pressure injected waste materials 3000 ft underground to enclosed rock formations, and equipment that detected and got 13 industries in west Tulsa dumping into the Arkansas River in the middle of the night in trouble with the EPA in the 1980's.

This area could be discards from something like that of the strip mining operations in that area years ago or something else. Way back in time, most likely in the 70-80's someone made a decision to put it there. Lets take this stuff way out east of Tulsa in the middle of nowhere and bury it in the ground for it to decay back to earth where it came from.

Humm, guess at that time no one knew there would be a city with residential communities built on top of it out in "the middle of nowhere."

OK, back to the quote. All my life some people asked me why I enjoyed climbing the hills that could not be climbed on dirt bikes and I always stated "I want to leave the highest mark before tumbling down." I was good at that, but now I have another answer. "I was just trying to get above the radon gas level in the low areas way out east of BA." Ha Ha.

Yep, like you "SlugSlinger" I rode that area of strip mines frequently back in the 1970's along with many other places, Verdigris strip mines, cut a lot of trails in at Oolagah Blue Bill, Keystone, Turkey mountain, and rode a lot in Miami at the boron mines, rode Camp Gruber enduros, and others. 72 metallic orange Yamaha 250, then a 74 250 WR Husqvarna (I still own), and then an orange 450 WR Husky Desert Racer, then a Black 460 CR Husky that I did not have enough fat forward to keep the front end down very much, even on level ground at 60MPH WOT, haha.

Edit, Hell forgot John Zink Ranch trails and Hill Climb, 250 class, prob mid 70's, got a trophy around somewhere. Yep, fun days with a lot of tent camping to go along with it.

Wonder what a giger counter would read off the original front tire of my 74 Husky from back in that day I still own? Prob like me, nothing more than normal, even though I have been in some "hot" areas in my life.

Yes there are some situations that are bad and need addressed, but most panic is caused by over reacting to minor things. Hell, for years I wore a wrist watch with luminescent hands in HS that highly triggered a giger counter in science class and my arm has not fallen off yet.

Not all radiation produces radion gas. Low levels of radiation do not reach miles and miles or even a few hundreds of feet to warp people. Radiation is used to kill germs and cancer cells. Humm To me, the biggest problem we have is lack of real information that we can trust of what is real. Constantly being lied to about what is real and what is known to be real is the scary part.

I do hope the local people in that area are not long term negatively affected.

Last edited:

RidgeRunner45-70

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Radon is a big problem in Colorado along the front range. Lung cancer. When we put our home up for sale in Broomfield we were required to provide a 24 hr radon test. Our was below the danger level requiring mitigation, but present none the less. Our neighbors on either side of us had to do mitigation|ventilation measures to bring interior radon levels below the cut off levels. Many homes in Colorado have basements which exacerbates the radon problems. When we were home searching here we saw very few basements.
Nothing to mess with for sure.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
and the truth of what is there and in what quantity, and if it is bad will be sold to the highest bidder...I don't cynic much, but after the last week or two...fuk it.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i think its hilarious, folks are like hey a radioactive site,, Lets go check it out. Clearly born after the early 1990s :) go get you sum

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Safety and environmental are my profession, so I looked up the report on the radiation survey of the area. In a small part of the area, they found 130 micro REM/hr of radiation at the surface. That's a miniscule dosage. It's about four times normal background radiation. It's unlikely, even living directly on top of the site for many years, that an average person would see any adverse effects. Radon is another story, I am not very familiar with it.
After dealing with the news media at work, for years, that is what I thought! Did these people used to be HUMAN? You would think they would at least make an effort to tell the TRUTH, when reporting on public health matters? I guess old, ingrained habits, are hard to break? THANKS!

Latest posts

Top Bottom