Threaded barrel for brake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my rifle for sale, however I’m only going to give it a few more days, then I’m going to start working it towards a precision shooter.
It is a Savage model 111 in .300 wm, so I have 2 questions for you...
1) It is just the standard ‘trophy hunter’ barrel, which I believe is too thin to thread for a brake, am I correct? If it can safely be threaded, are there some preferred places around OKC to have it done?
2) If it’s too thin to have threaded, where is a good place to find a threaded replacement barrel?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If memory serves me, I believe you need a minimum muzzle end diameter of 0.70"-0.75" for a proper shoulder to threaded a muzzle brake. If you have calipers you can measure it.

There are "clamp-on" brakes out there you can find through Google that have good reviews but I have no experience with them or know of anyone who has.

https://kahntrol.com/index.php/muzzle-brakes/clamp-on-muzzle-brakes/

https://www.wittmachine.net/custom-clamp-on-muzzle-brake.html

Savage prefit barrels
https://criterionbarrels.com/products/prefits/savage-pre-fit-barrels/

I would look at a clamp on brake first before buying a prefit barrel. Depending on barrel contour of a prefit, you may need to open you barrel channel on the stock or possibly purchase a different stock.

Last edited:

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My .300wm looks to have a thickness of .124, and my 6.5 Creedmoor at .273. Both of which I’m wanting to brake.
These measurements could vary ever so slightly, as I’m a bit rusty on calipers.
Does anyone know a good gunsmith around with the ability of threading these, which I can contact?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My .300wm looks to have a thickness of .124, and my 6.5 Creedmoor at .273. Both of which I’m wanting to brake.
These measurements could vary ever so slightly, as I’m a bit rusty on calipers.
Does anyone know a good gunsmith around with the ability of threading these, which I can contact?

I’m confused, a 300 wm has a bore diameter of 0.308” and you show a barrel diameter of 0.124. The 6.5mm doesn’t look correct either. A 6.5mm bore diameter is 0.264”. Based on your dimensions the wall thickness on the barrel of the 6.5mm would only be 0.0045”

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think he is measuring the actual wall thickness of the metal. From the inside of the bore of the barrel to the outside.

Tell him to give it another shot at measuring & give you the total diameter of the barrel at the muzzle.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think he is measuring the actual wall thickness of the metal. From the inside of the bore of the barrel to the outside.

Tell him to give it another shot at measuring & give you the total diameter of the barrel at the muzzle.

I thought I told him the approximate outside barrel dimensions for a brake in a previous post.
Barrel diameter 0.700” to 0.750” approximate to create a shoulder for the brake/crush washer to mate against.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom