Three Angels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had new RV tires put on last year. This is what they found on one of the tires. It was on the inside and went unnoticed. Can’t get much more mileage than this.

a2c1660369103d1cbc775b532249b973.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had new RV tires put on last year. This is what they found on one of the tires. It was on the inside and went unnoticed. Can’t get much more mileage than this.

a2c1660369103d1cbc775b532249b973.jpg

Issue is if I understand it right is that most ST trailer tires are built in China now.
RV manufacturers are buying the cheapest tires they can to keep the selling price down.
Goodyear and maybe another domestic company makes far superior trailer tires, but they aren't cheap.
Others are going for light truck tires, but on tandem trailers, the side scrub of sharp backing can break down the sidewalls as I understand it.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Issue is if I understand it right is that most ST trailer tires are built in China now.
RV manufacturers are buying the cheapest tires they can to keep the selling price down.
Goodyear and maybe another domestic company makes far superior trailer tires, but they aren't cheap.
Others are going for light truck tires, but on tandem trailers, the side scrub of sharp backing can break down the sidewalls as I understand it.

Yep. The stock tires suck. I replaced the four tires with Maxxis tires. They have a good reputation on RV forums. I’ve been happy with them so far but have only had the RV out 4 times since replacing last September. Furthest trip was to San Antonio for the World Skeet Championship. I was surprised, however, at how well they wintered. They require 80 lbs of air - after 5 months in winter storage they were at 75 lbs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. The stock tires suck. I replaced the four tires with Maxxis tires. They have a good reputation on RV forums. I’ve been happy with them so far but have only had the RV out 4 times since replacing last September. Furthest trip was to San Antonio for the World Skeet Championship. I was surprised, however, at how well they wintered. They require 80 lbs of air - after 5 months in winter storage they were at 75 lbs.
We just bought our RV last spring, and it's a long bumper pull. 36' with three slides. I'll give the tires another year, and then replace them all.
We scour the RV forums for tips and guidance since we are newbs to this game.
Keep stretching the trips further and further.
Our friends just sent us a pic from the start of the Alcan Highway. They are going to Alaska for 3 months.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We just bought our RV last spring, and it's a long bumper pull. 36' with three slides. I'll give the tires another year, and then replace them all.
We scour the RV forums for tips and guidance since we are newbs to this game.
Keep stretching the trips further and further.
Our friends just sent us a pic from the start of the Alcan Highway. They are going to Alaska for 3 months.

Lots of good information on those RV forums just like here for firearm knowledge. The 5th wheel I have now has a water connection to the black tank which sprays inside the tank during dumping. The previous RV (travel trailer) did not have that. One tip I learned with the previous RV - dump your ice into the toilet to let it “slosh” around on the way to a dump station. That did a great job of cleaning the tank and tank sensors.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of good information on those RV forums just like here for firearm knowledge. The 5th wheel I have now has a water connection to the black tank which sprays inside the tank during dumping. The previous RV (travel trailer) did not have that. One tip I learned with the previous RV - dump your ice into the toilet to let it “slosh” around on the way to a dump station. That did a great job of cleaning the tank and tank sensors.
Ours has the same black tank sparger bar. The unit also is set up for arctic camping in cold weather with a full lower frame insulation and cover.
The issue we found on our first trip was that the sparger bar wasn't connected, or had come apart and the water we put in to flush the black tank filled the bottom. I spotted it dripping and shut it down. I use the wand now in the toilet to flush until I can get that sparger bar connection fixed.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ours has the same black tank sparger bar. The unit also is set up for arctic camping in cold weather with a full lower frame insulation and cover.
The issue we found on our first trip was that the sparger bar wasn't connected, or had come apart and the water we put in to flush the black tank filled the bottom. I spotted it dripping and shut it down. I use the wand now in the toilet to flush until I can get that sparger bar connection fixed.

No doubt there is usually something that needs work / repair on an RV. I know it is a drive for you, but If you need repair service beyond your capability, I recommend Kjelshus RV repair in OKC. I, and several friends, have taken RVs to Gary and have been pleased. He is not a “drop it off and hope you get it back in a couple of months” RV repair center. He will schedule to drop it off when he can start work on it. Repairs for us have been quick, honest, and reasonable. It’s a small shop and a little quirky but the guy is honest, friendly, and definitely knows what he is doing. If you go, ask about his vintage motorcycle restoration hobby.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 119854 What kind of bikes does he restore? This is my brothers shop but one of those bike and a bunch of parts are mine. I'm derailing my own thread!

LOL - After posting I thought I’ve really high jacked Darren’s thread. Most were Yamaha street bikes. However, the one that caught my eye was a Honda Trail 90. I use to terrorize the jack rabbits on my grandfathers farm with his Honda Trail 70.

Latest posts

Top Bottom