Thumb drives, music & automobiles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife and I use thumb drives with music all the time in our Ford Expedition. Each thumbdrive (we have about 5 of them) have upwards to 200-300 songs. I've never tried doing just albums as I don't like having to mess with changing albums after one on the drive ends.

However, I do insist that one or more of the drive have really upbeat music to give me some "trucking music" while driving. The last thing I want on a long trip is soft, soothing music.

We generally "rip" the music from our CD's onto the computer and then copy those MP3 files (or whatever) over to the thumb drives.

Back some years ago, before moving into the RV, I went through and digitized a lot of my old LP albums onto the computer. I think I need to go get some of those onto thumbdrives.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife and I use thumb drives with music all the time in our Ford Expedition. Each thumbdrive (we have about 5 of them) have upwards to 200-300 songs. I've never tried doing just albums as I don't like having to mess with changing albums after one on the drive ends.

However, I do insist that one or more of the drive have really upbeat music to give me some "trucking music" while driving. The last thing I want on a long trip is soft, soothing music.

We generally "rip" the music from our CD's onto the computer and then copy those MP3 files (or whatever) over to the thumb drives.

Back some years ago, before moving into the RV, I went through and digitized a lot of my old LP albums onto the computer. I think I need to go get some of those onto thumbdrives.
Do you remember what you used to rip those old LPs? I've got a whole box of them that need ripping. My grandkids are at the perfect age to hear the old Loony tunes LPs too.
"Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bedpost overnight?"

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This first time I ever heard the song, King Of The Road, by Roger Miller I was a kid listening to radio via a crystal radio set our father made for us. That was one of my favorite songs as a youngster.

Today I was listening to a playlist I made of older country on my new ear buds and the song, King Of The Road, played and I found I still enjoy that song. Roger Miller wrote some clever lyrics.

Going back in time, and remembering clearly the evening I first heard that song, got me thinking how much things have changed; especially technology. The music coming from my phone to the ear bus is fantastic. Only science fiction writers could imagine the technologies we have today, compared to when I was a young kid, being pleased to hear, Roger Miller with a pair of headphones that had very marginal sound, connected to a crystal radio. I remember my first transistor radio and thought I was shitin' in high cotton.

I can’t even imagine what the technologies will be 50 or 60 years from now. The advances in technologies the past 60 years…………....were once only science fiction.

For some young fellows that might know, Roger Miller grew up in Erick, OK. His is a true Oklahoma success story. He lost his mother at a young age and was raised by dirt poor relatives in Erick, OK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Miller

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We don’t do music in our vehicles. We talk. On traveling on trips she will read books. We did this when raising our two daughters. No TVs either. I just pulled a $7k Satellite System off our RV to mount more solar. We enjoy music when we are camping and at home.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This first time I ever heard the song, King Of The Road, by Roger Miller I was a kid listening to radio via a crystal radio set our father made for us. That was one of my favorite songs as a youngster.

Today I was listening to a playlist I made of older country on my new ear buds and the song, King Of The Road, played and I found I still enjoy that song. Roger Miller wrote some clever lyrics.

Going back in time, and remembering clearly the evening I first heard that song, got me thinking how much things have changed; especially technology. The music coming from my phone to the ear bus is fantastic. Only science fiction writers could imagine the technologies we have today, compared to when I was a young kid, being pleased to hear, Roger Miller with a pair of headphones that had very marginal sound, connected to a crystal radio. I remember my first transistor radio and thought I was shitin' in high cotton.

I can’t even imagine what the technologies will be 50 or 60 years from now. The advances in technologies the past 60 years…………....were once only science fiction.

For some young fellows that might know, Roger Miller grew up in Erick, OK. His is a true Oklahoma success story. He lost his mother at a young age and was raised by dirt poor relatives in Erick, OK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Miller

One of my favorites as a kid too. Mom made me take organ lessons, so you can imagine what song I wanted to play. Randy Travis and Josh Turner did a version I like.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you remember what you used to rip those old LPs? I've got a whole box of them that need ripping. My grandkids are at the perfect age to hear the old Loony tunes LPs too.

I'll have to think on that one. That was all going on more than 12 years ago, and I don't even have the software on this computer. I had a complete component stereo system with LP turntable that I would play into the software and then save it as a digital file.

I think the software that I used was entitled "Goldwave." See link below.

Goldwave - Audio and Video Editing Software

As for ripping CD's, I think that was using one of the Window's programs on the computer.

Last edited:

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I used to rip my wife's 100 or so LPs and convert to mp3. It did a great job as far as converting, but the speaker was not great. Sent it back to Amazon after ripping LPs. If the sound system was better I would have kept it. There are similar products that will do the same on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075H5ZWK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Latest posts

Top Bottom