Thunder announcer suspended one game after racially insensitive comment about Russell Westbrook

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKC03Cobra

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The play-by-play announcer said Westbrook was 'out of his cotton-picking mind'

The Oklahoma City Thunder suspended play-by-play announcer Brian Davis for one game following his racially insensitive comment about Thunder star Russell Westbrook.

During the Thunder's final regular-season game on Wednesday night, Davis said that Westbrook was "out of his cotton-picking mind" following a nifty assist by the guard.

(Excerpt) Read more at cbssports.com ...

OKC03Cobra

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
snowflake-nba-1.jpg

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What's the origin of the phrase 'Cotton-picking'?
It can come as as little surprise that the term 'cotton-picking' originated in the southern states of the USA, where it is usually pronounced cotton-pickin'. It began life in the late 1700s and differs from the 19th century Dixie term, 'cottonpicker', in that the latter was derogatory and racist, whereas 'cotton-picking' referred directly to the difficulty and harshness of gathering the crop. This didn't extend to the specific expression 'keep your cotton-picking hands off of me'. This no doubt alludes to the horny, calloused (and usually black) hands that picked cotton.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw this the other day and just rolled my eyes. People so dead set on being offended these days.... I never heard anything about Russell Westbrook directly being offended, did you? I mean, could see Russ rolling his eyes about the whole thing, too. I don't know the guy at all, but based on what I see in his interviews and such, seems he might be annoyed that other people are making such a big deal of it.

I know my wife thought it was a bunch of crap. Just asked her again, she thinks it's as stupid as I do. Jeez.

People are idiots.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Diversity is our strength. Except that "diversity" historically never seems to get along very well. It also depends on which shade makes the comment. I don't recall much coming from this little gem:

http://nbatitlechase.com/blog/2015/12/15/kevin-durant-says-gordon-hayward-pretty-athletic-white-guy/

Thanks for that "shoe is on the other foot" reminder of how racism really isn't racism until you consider who said what. Another good reason why the NBA has no appeal to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom