Tie Rod end specifications resource

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to build a custom drag link and need a tie rod end.

It needs to be left hand thread, a ford super duty ream dimension and around a 1” thread shaft size.

Any ideas?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I installed a 1982 Ford mustang rack onto my 78 Nova and I needed a certain tie rod and it was unobtanium.

I cut the GM tie rod and ground it to an angle where I cut it.
I cut the Ford rod and tapered the end of it also and then welded the 2 pieces together.
I made 1 complete pass around the tapered groove and then cooled it in transmission fluid.

I then cleaned it all up and made another pass all the way around and cooled it again ..did this for multiple passes until the groove was filled in.

I did not want to make too much heat and ruin the socket the pivot part of the tie rod set in.

Never broke and I performed many wheelies and towed stuff with that car and even backed over curbs with trailer attached to the vehicle.

So maybe if you have the 2 parts you need you could weld them together.

I used an AC 225 welder with 6011 rod.
Nothing fancy.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t see the sizes I want on that website. I wonder if it’s a complete listing?

I have a set up I was thinking about installing, but I was trying to find a stock item. This is a left hand thread gm tie rod end. The weld in tube fitting is 1” od and I would need to drill the pitman arm and insert the bushing to fit the gm ream taper. I plan to use a DOM tube for the drag link and I am trying to figure out the best way to attach the Ford tie rod, since it’s an odd ball configuration. It’s a 1” shaft.

FABB4339-F78E-4E5C-BA45-1610FB0D9963.jpeg

1B84DF5B-CF38-481B-8416-B20202D953B5.jpeg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drill out the pitman arm and the pass. side steering arm with a proper taper tool and just use the Chevy 1 tons for everything.

https://www.amazon.com/Rough-Countr...t=&hvlocphy=1024290&hvtargid=pla-902170641988
That was the plan and I have this setup, minus the tube and the Chevy steering arms, sitting on my workbench currently.
28BED481-EDDF-4D80-BD29-F5CCC661EBFE.jpeg

However due to the thickness of the Ford passenger side streering arm, the Chevy tie rod will not bolt up. The picture in an earlier response above shows the Ford extended tie rod end.

0A3F18E4-189A-4B2D-AB09-6AD888507333.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom