Tig welders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use very little gas, like 2-3 bottles a year probably. So I bought bottles and then just exchanged them for filled. As I recall, the annual bottle rent was about 70% of what I paid to buy the bottle outright. That may not be true everywhere - again my experience is limited.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started by renting after a couple years I realized I had already paid for the bottles but didn't own them. Bought bottles from Air Gas and kept the receipt. They exchange the bottles when I need refills and have the receipt should I ever decide to sell.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some folks prefer to own the bottles in which case yes you wait for it to be refilled. I prefer to lease the bottle. It’s not a particular bottle so exchanges are quick and easy.

I use a local welding supply/testing facility.
Cost of ownership pros and cons vs rentals?

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't remember what I paid to rent, but it was well over half what I paid to buy outright. It's possible I was getting the 'you're a low volume guy, screw you' price too.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mentioned above that it costs me $40 a year to lease my Argon K size bottle. A friend of mine purchased a K bottle from the same place a few weeks ago and he paid $325 (as is/with good test).

Cost of gas to fill em is additional in both examples.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mentioned above that it costs me $40 a year to lease my Argon K size bottle. A friend of mine purchased a K bottle from the same place a few weeks ago and he paid $325 (as is/with good test).

I'm thinking I was definitely getting the 'we don't want you here' price, lol. My low usage was probably built into the rent.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
cost to fill a larger bottle is slightly more than a small bottle.
better economics using larger bottles. gas suppliers are no different than anyone else.
they price by volume.

jump on airgas bottles that come up dirt cheap. if you stick to airgas bottles, no fuss to fill.
come time to refill, do several bottles at same time. usually you will get better pricing.
no clue if this really saves $$$ .. :D packrat mentality

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rented a bottle for two years from Air Gas. Got tired of the price going up plus the hidden fees, turned it in and went to James Supplies. A year later, same old story, that cheap $40/yr rental suddenly became $55. Bought my own down in Dallas, haven't had an issue yet, but I've got 8 years left on the certification.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

making sure we are talking argon bottles 5ft tall with caps, about 9in dia
a few years back I'd see em on craigslist for $125 range.
this is for bottles in good condition in test.
all sorts of bottles will come up for sale, but only purchase bottles with airgas labels.

the best deal came up about 5 years ago, a metal fab shop shutting down after 30+ years.
they had 20+ full size, filled Airgas bottles for $75 each. I purchased 4-5 bottles and ran out of room.
it never fails when you gotta have one, no deals to be found. then trip over deals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom