Tikka T3 260 Load Dev

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Broke the new Tikka Forest in last week so this week started some load development and brought out the chrony. I've only been reloading a year so I still have plenty to learn and would really like some input from those of you out there doing 260 load development. I decided to try some 130 grain Berger VLD hunting bullets this time around. First issue I ran into was that distance to the lands with this long bullet was 2.980. The 260 stock is short action, due to bolt throw, with a max length on the magazine of 2.82. I decided to go ahead and do a bolt modification for the longer OAL since I reload and knew I was going to need it. I followed the instructions on youtube here: and fortunately didn't screw anything up. I then ordered an extended magazine for the T3 long action cartridges and was good to go after that. The feed is a little tricky, I just need to move a little slower on the cycle.

Last night I worked up some loads with three powders, IMR 4350, Varget and IMR 4451 (said the best replacement for H4350, since I couldn't find any). I did a little work last week with some 120 Sierra Pro Hunters so I had an idea where I wanted to start on loads. I didn't chrony any last week since I was mainly breaking in. Here were today loads and speeds averaged over five shot groups with the 130 VLD's:

IMR 4451
41g - 2541
41.5g - 2581
42g - 2585

Varget
36g - 2556
36.5g - 2606
37g - 2653

IMR 4350
42g - 2621
42.5g - 2621

The OAL was set to 2.960 with a few groups set at 2.965. My research on the web showed most had success .015 to .020 off the lands. All the above speeds are considered low so I'll need to work up while checking for any pressure signs. Had none today. Groups were fair with the IMR 4451 showing good accuracy albeit the slow speed.

The worst part shooting today was the wind gusting and watching my cross-hairs blow about. But then again, any day you can go shooting is a good day.

20170305_133025.jpg
20170305_132948.jpg

20170305_153813.jpg

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently don't have access to my 260 load data but the Berger VLD in a Hunter/Target bullet can be a little temperamental to load for. I shoot 140 Berger hybrids or AMax.

How did you measure your distance to lands? Are you measuring from cartridge base to ogive or cartridge base to meplat? I can't remember my measurements off the top of my head.

Also dump that rickety table as your shooting platform. It looks very uncomfortable and I dought you'll be able to produce consistent group strings.

I'll try to get back with you tomorrow with my load data and what I've learned with the 260. I'm currently at Rose State watching my daughters dance competition

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, on the table, doing the best I can with what I have to work with. On measuring to the lands , I don't have any of the fancy measuring tools so I re-size a case to get enough neck tension so that a bullet will slide in with a little resistance. Start the bullet in the case and leave it long. Then lay the bullet in my chamber and slowly close the bolt. Carefully open the bolt and don't let it eject. Pick it out and measure the OAL. I do this about 10 times to ensure I have the right measurement.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My experience with Berger VLD bullets is they generally like to kiss the lands and no more than one thousands jump. If I were you I would seat the bullet to the lands on initial load development. That is, if they will still fit your mag. It kind of sounds like your chamber is set up with a long throat.

I've only loaded 140gr Berger Hybrids in my sons Savage 260. Over all length of these rounds are 2.954" +/-. The reason for the +/- is because of the uneven meplat. That's why I don't like using COAL as my measurement. My cartridge base to ogive (which is the beginning of the bullet bearing surface) is 2.268". This length is kissing the lands in the savage chamber. Naturally your measurement will be different. I'm shooting 43.8 gr of H4350 with CCI BR2 primers. I'm getting 2,887fps and <0.5 MOA at 100yds.

Continue running your optimum charge weight OCW separated by 0.3 grains of powder until you come to a group of 0.5-0.75 MOA and the desired velocity ( always watching for pressure signs, heavier than normal bolt lift). After you have consistent groups you like play with bullet seating depth to see if you can tighten the group further.

Conducting an OCW can be time consuming but it's well worth it once you're able to tune a particular load to your rifle. I've tuned three different burger bullets to my 7WSM. I'm not one to experiment with different powder. For my 7WSM I shoot H4831sc for Berger 168gr Hunting VLD, H1000 for Berger 180gr Hunting VLD/VLD/Hybrid and for the 260 which I only shoot 140gr bullets I load H4350 only. Thankfully I have plenty of powder

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I know H4350 is the go to powder but when you can't find it you have to do what you can. I do plan on getting some 140 berger's eventually but when I get a good load on the 130's I'll probably use those for deer hunting next year. Not sure I need heavier in OK for deer. I'll take your advice and load the next go around closer to the lands then work the powder charges up from there. Thanks.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm surprised there's only input from one other person on 260 loads. Maybe there just not a lot on the site that reload for 260?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finding the area where your bullet just touches the lands.
You need to take a permanent marker and color the bullet and chamber it and then extract it and look for witness marks from the lands on the painted surface.

You can be touching the lands by .001" and you can also be .030" into them with some guns with the same feel on the bolt during closing and opening.. and bullet will not move in the case.

I find the point of no just touching and go from there.
My 178A max loads liked to be to the point of in the lands fully with no resistance then seat them .010" longer for a jammed into the lands bullet.
Not optimum if you plan to remove the round from the chamber..as there is that chance that the bullet will be stuck and you extract the case and fill the chamber and magazine with powder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom