Tikka T3 Forest 260

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Felt like Christmas since this was the first rifle I've ever bought brand spanking new. I've been wanting a 260 hunting rifle and at under $600 this one was hard to pass up. I wanted another Tikka since my Tikka CTR 308 is such a joy to shoot, and the most accurate thing I own. I had a few issues today though.

Decided to take off early and head across the city to Cabelas for some 260 necessities. I wanted some H4350, some brass, some 120 gr. bullets and a box of factory ammo to break in the barrel. I walked out of Cabelas with some IMR 4451 only, read it's a good H4350 substitute so give it a try. I wasn't surprised I couldn't find any H4350 but no brass or 120 gr bullets or factory ammo? The guy said they carried three brands but they were all out of the factory ammo. 6.5 bullets are obviously popular because the shelf was bare where they all had once lived. As for as brass, who knows but there was nothing resembling 260, even it the empty spots.

I decided to swing by bass pro on the way home and see if they had anything close to what I needed. Nope, no factory ammo or any other 260 related items.

How about give Dick's a try, nothing. On my way to Shawnee I called B & G Gun room, yea, we have several boxes of fusion (moly coated), but only those. I've read some bad things about moly coated and was going to be breaking in a barrel so it's a hard pass.

Well, Duhnam's is usually pretty sparse but it's on the way home so why not try...Finally, they had four brands, one box each. I got the Remington but was surprised it was $40 a box, and that was the cheap box. Guess I've been reloading too long and have missed that high price ammo.

Well, the rifle is now cleaned and scoped with some new Talley rings and a Burris Signature. Break in tomorrow. Looks like I'll be ordering some brass and bullets though.......any suggestions on the best place to order from.

Attachments

• t3_forest.jpg
    t3_forest.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You've got a fantastic rifle that will shoot tiny groups for sure.

I buy all my reloading supplies here:
http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/

You can order on line and do a store pickup so you won't have a hazmat/shipping fee. They are not open on weekends and I believe they close at 5:30 or 6:00 Monday-Friday. They are located in El Reno OK about one block north of Route 66 on highway 81 (east side of 81).

They usually have Remington, Lapua, and Nosler brass in 260 and H4350 in 1 and 8 lb jugs but unfortunately they are out of powder and the only brass they have is Nosler. They also carry a large selection of bullets. The problem here is the 6.5 is a popular bullet.

You can get match grade ammo here:
http://coppercreekammo.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=37&zenid=0deefec7375396d53212e4d5b1866d5a
And
http://www.primeammo.com/ammunition.html?cat=5

You can try IMR4350, it's similar to H4350 and you can also try H4831sc as well. I've reloaded my sons 260 for about five years now and found it to be an easy round to load accurately.

I shoot:
Rem brass
CCI BR2 primers
43.8 gr H4350
140 gr Berger Hybrid (with a jump)
MV of 2,887fps
I can load it hotter but this yielded <1/2 MOA at 100yds and shoots accurately out to 850yds (furthest I've taken it so far).

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some research shows promise for the IMR 4451 in 260, very similar to the H4350 and temp stable. El Reno is quite a drive for me but when all else fails I'll make it next time. I went ahead and ordered Lapua brass and 120 grain sierra's tonight from Midway. Guess I'll take the shipping hit this time. I thought I'd start at 120's and go up from there in my load development. I have plenty of IMR 4350 on hand. Probably going to do some upgrading over the summer. I've never attempted pillars and bedding but think I'm going to give it a shot, may try the lumley kit. Also will probably upgrade to the metal trigger guard assembly. Need to do more homework but over time I'd like to make this my main deer hunter. A good summer project with the load development also....

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice bang stick ! The 260 is waining in popularity behind the 6.5 creedmoor especially with hunters and even match shooters due to the shorter mag length and guys wanting to run Bergers im about to finish my wife's build in 6.5 creedmoor she couldn't decide between it or the 260 terminator an improved 260 we decided since we are moving to Alaska in the next few years to go with the creedmoor. Keep us posted on load development.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After reading the pros and cons of barrel break, many people saying it's all BS, just shoot it, I decided on a compromise of sorts. 5 shots cleaned between each shot. Then 5 consecutive shots and cleaned for the rest of the box. Now I'll just shoot it and drag a bore snake through it afterwards for a while. Hopefully the groups will tighten with time.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Rem 260 is sucking hind tit to the Creedmore as 7STW states but there isn't a thimble full of difference between the two. With 130/140gr Berger hunting or Hornady ELD bullets traveling 2,850-2,950 fps it's an excellent antelope, elk, deer, or sheep hunting round.

Remington missed out on getting this chambering to the American hunter with poor bullet selection and lack of advertising. Much like they did with the 7mm SAUM with it being a better case design than the 7WSM.

The 260 with high BC bullets flies fairly flat, is easy on the shooter, cheep to reload, and will kill further than most hunters are willing to shoot. What's not to like about this cartridge other than it's not what the cool kids are shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom