Time for a new battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I was going to do some cruising in my ol car today, (such a nice day for it). I hook up the battery & it will barely crank over the engine. The battery is pretty much dead. Optima Red Top battery, never had any problems with it, & if it had lasted another 3 months it would have made it 10 years. 6-13 is the date on the battery.
I guess I can't complain too much about that, but I'm not looking forward to buying another one.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to Hunter Battery Warehouse on S. Walker. Not sure if they do AGM's but I had one of their batteries 6 years with no issues till I sold the car.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste my money on a new Optima. Those days of Optimas lasting 8-15y are long gone. Had Red Top in a bronco that was 13yo when it started to fail. Bought another one and it lasted a little over a year, it was warrantied, and the next one lasted a little over a year also lol. Autozone Gold or an Interstate is all I'll buy now.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t get Autozone gold, all my cars ate them up in 3 years, gave you just enough to justify another.

I usually get get AAA anymore, they have a great warranty and as a member they’ll come to your house and replace it.

My factory motor-craft battery in my Mach lasted over 10 years….unbelievable

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buy my batteries from an independent shop here in east TX that specializes in hydraulics and batteries that sells Deka brand, and the one I just had to replace on my F250 lasted 5 years. The last one I replaced on my F550 had lasted 6 years.
In 25 years of doing business with them, I have yet to be disappointed with anything they’ve sold me.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I've learned when diagnosing no starts these days is not to dismiss the battery just because it's new-ish. In the past, if a battery was a year old and car wouldn't crank, I'd start looking at alternator, belt etc. Nowadays, seems better to start with the battery, regardless.

I don't see the super premium type batteries being worth it any more. It really feels like a crap shoot a lot of times.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste my money on a new Optima. Those days of Optimas lasting 8-15y are long gone. Had Red Top in a bronco that was 13yo when it started to fail. Bought another one and it lasted a little over a year, it was warrantied, and the next one lasted a little over a year also lol. Autozone Gold or an Interstate is all I'll buy now.

Yep. It's so bad now that I just buy mine at Sam's Club now. It just doesn't seem to matter where you get one now, it may last a year, it may last five. You just don't know anymore.

MY mom's car still has the OEM battery from the factory. It's a 2016 model. I threw a lithium jump starter in the back because it could go anytime and when it does it'll go without warning, I guarantee. But it's still chugging along!

Latest posts

Top Bottom