Time for a new truck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’ve decided to go forward with doing what I should have done before I bought my current truck, and buy a diesel.
So here’s the question:
I’m pretty sold on buying a 2010+ Ram 2500 or 3500 with a Cummins and 4 wheel drive. I don’t need a dually, but if I can find a far better price on one, I’m not opposed to it. I’ve found some decent trucks floating around, but I’ve also noticed that ford power strokes are going for anywhere from $3-15k less than a comparable Cummins.
Why? I’m not much of a fan of post 70s fords, but the price difference might be enough to get me to change my mind. Are they just garbage? I drove an F550 service truck with a 6.0 in it for about a year, and it was the biggest piece of crap I’ve ever driven down the street. My buddy has a 6.0 F250 and it’s been ok, but he has had to put a lot of money into it. Are the new 6.7 power strokes just as bad?

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From a biased point of view I'd say yes, however that being said I haven't looked in over a decade for a new diesel. Ford use to be very proud of their trucks.
They all have their fair share of problem areas, I personally have stuck with the duramax. But if they are selling that much cheaper then its possible that's because they are more problematic. P.S I have a brother-in-law that is a salesman @ David Stanley Chrysler Jeep Dodge in MWC, both new and used, very knowledgeable and and all around good man.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
From a biased point of view I'd say yes, however that being said I haven't looked in over a decade for a new diesel. Ford use to be very proud of their trucks.
They all have their fair share of problem areas, I personally have stuck with the duramax. But if they are selling that much cheaper then its possible that's because they are more problematic. P.S I have a brother-in-law that is a salesman @ David Stanley Chrysler Jeep Dodge in MWC, both new and used, very knowledgeable and and all around good man.
Nothing on your brother in law, but I wouldn't set foot on David Stanley property if someone paid me. If he wanted to throw me a signed offer via email after seeing some pictures of my truck and a phone call, I might consider it, but nobody does that anymore.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At David Stanley?? Good?? Don’t believe it

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At David Stanley?? Good?? Don’t believe it
I had one experience there. Not one of my fonder memories. Very nearly came to a physical altercation with the floor manager after we agreed to a price and he attempted to get me to sign paperwork that had an altered much higher price. When I told them to give the keys to my trade back he refused. He was the definition of scum.

I did get my keys back.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I’ve decided to go forward with doing what I should have done before I bought my current truck, and buy a diesel.
So here’s the question:
I’m pretty sold on buying a 2010+ Ram 2500 or 3500 with a Cummins and 4 wheel drive. I don’t need a dually, but if I can find a far better price on one, I’m not opposed to it. I’ve found some decent trucks floating around, but I’ve also noticed that ford power strokes are going for anywhere from $3-15k less than a comparable Cummins.
Why? I’m not much of a fan of post 70s fords, but the price difference might be enough to get me to change my mind. Are they just garbage? I drove an F550 service truck with a 6.0 in it for about a year, and it was the biggest piece of crap I’ve ever driven down the street. My buddy has a 6.0 F250 and it’s been ok, but he has had to put a lot of money into it. Are the new 6.7 power strokes just as bad?
As far as 2010+ units go, I would recommend staying away from powerstrokes that are out of warranty and/or have a stock CP4 fuel pump on them (2019&20 Ram did also, and maybe even GM; I cant recall). The latest gen Fords are also plagued with a death-wobble of some kind.

Cummins is probably the safest bet in the diesel world, and their higher price is commanded for a reason, but I can’t imagine buying any newer truck in this market. My idea of a realistic price for a DRW truck relegates me currently to GMT400s and..... oh wait, that’s it.

That F550 you drove is an excellent donor for a 12 valve. It’s what I plan on eventually having.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
6.7l are awesome, buy a 15' or newer. 11'-14' had an occasional wire harness and or turbo hiccup. Any of those with issues would have been taken care of by now though. 15' up interior is much nicer anyway. Stay away from the 6.4l, just stay away and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. I had a great 6.0l, 333k virtually trouble free miles when I sold it. No way would I ever own a 6.4l after all of my friends that owned them had catastrophic failures of various types, some more than one failure.

If you're leaning Dodge, the dually is worth it to me just to get the Asin transmission. All my farm friends ether drive 6.7l Fords or Chevy gas trucks. Duramax diesels, and Dodge trucks didn't hold up for them.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one experience there. Not one of my fonder memories. Very nearly came to a physical altercation with the floor manager after we agreed to a price and he attempted to get me to sign paperwork that had an altered much higher price. When I told them to give the keys to my trade back he refused. He was the definition of scum.

I did get my keys back.
That sounds like a play out of Lynn Hickey's playbook. A guy I know had to pick up the phone and start dialing OCPD's number to get his keys back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom